Possible Bug - guests can view contact data in profile

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Ger

Re: Possible Bug - guests can view contact data in profile

Post by Ger »

As a guest, I see:
<avatar>
Scanialady
Those seem quite relevant for guests to be able to follow the topic and value the posts/person. Nothing personal here.

On phpBB.com I see:
<avatar>
KevC
Support Team Member
Contact only shows his website, which isn't private/personal either.
He chose to tell his location, but he could also state something like "Earh" or "Gotham City" if he wanted to. Or his complete address for that matter. One could argue that this profile field is personal information though.
For other (custom) profile fields, you have a setting to either display it in topic view or not. When the nature of the profile field is too personal, you shouldn't display it in profile view, only in the memberlist/profile which are not available for guests.

That's entirely up to the board owner though.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Scanialady

Post by Scanialady »

Thank you, RMcGirr83.

We all know: the most of users don't know what they do. :D
A lot of them is using real names - if not for their board account they use it on Facebook, Google or on other places. So we should not link personal data nowhere for not registered user. And I have seen this problem first after upgrading to 3.1.x. The profile data are very much older (2009), not new entered.

edit: don't forget you have the real name and addresses with a whois for the websites, didn't you?

For me it seems to be the best, all profile data to hide by group permissions (easiest way). Really all, in postings, who is online, birthdays, too.
As I said: the very best is to let the users choose which information they want to share and to whom.

I had not opened a ticket before, but I will do, if nobody else with better English may do it for me

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

I think the option to set who you want to share your contact information with would be a nice feature, but it is not a bug IMHO.

About the legal stuff: in general I think we cannot really do much about that, as there is no such thing as 'EU law', so we are left with all the regulations one country might have, which is impossible to keep up with in the core.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Ones contact information should not be displayed to guests and foes by default.
Im not sure if it is a need for special changeable permissions.... like group based. Well... Maybe they should incase we have a group for spammers or other banned members.
Previous user: TheKiller

Scanialady

Post by Scanialady »

a spammers group does not ban guests. So all profile data should be hidden on every place by permissions. If a board owner want to let it view he should can allow - but by default we should protect it.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

No, not a bug. Guests have always been capable of viewing the contact profiles...since at least phpBB 2 IIRC.
Has an irascible disposition.

Scanialady

Post by Scanialady »

Ok, I understand this is no bug, it is a "feature".

But at the time phpbb 2 was up to date there we have had another meaning of privacy and no lawyers to hunt us. I have migrated my board, I can not see if it was the same on phpbb 3, too.

If privacy is not important enough under phpBB to align permissions depending on profile information I use my own solution.

Thank you for this discussion.

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

Scanialady wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:38 pm Ok, I understand this is no bug, it is a "feature".
What we said was that this is not a bug, but it would be a nice feature to add more control to the users/board admins to handle this in the future. Also, I would be surprised if this would be a legal issue anywhere in the world as users whether users share this information is up to them (the only required contact information is the email address which is never exposed to anyone).

Anyway, this won't be added before 3.3 for sure.

Scanialady

Post by Scanialady »

I would be pleased if more control for guest permissions would be added in the future :)
In my personal view phpBB is a little bit too talkative

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Scanialady wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:49 pm I would be pleased if more control for guest permissions would be added in the future :)
In my personal view phpBB is a little bit too talkative
Why not to open a feature request?
Notice that are allowed just for the 3.3.x serie though.
https://tracker.phpbb.com/
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades