Which IE versions should we kill?

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.

Which Internet Explorer versions should we kill?

IE8
15%
IE8 and IE9
29%
IE8, IE9 and IE10
8%
All of them!
38%
I love IE
9%

Total votes: 78

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: Which IE versions should we kill?

Post by callumacrae »

It's not all about nobody caring, it's about time spent supporting it and whether it is worth it, though. Of course someone will get *beep* off if phpBB breaks in IE8—but if it speeds up a release by two weeks, it's probably worth it.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

callumacrae wrote: Of course someone will get *beep* off if phpBB breaks in IE8...
That someone deserves to be screwed.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

callumacrae wrote: It's not all about nobody caring, it's about time spent supporting it and whether it is worth it, though. Of course someone will get *beep* off if phpBB breaks in IE8—but if it speeds up a release by two weeks, it's probably worth it.
If it were only one person, maybe. But what if it's 100,000 people. Is two weeks worth ticking that many off?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

As long as we keep on using progressive enhancement, phpBB will always "work" in IE8, even if it doesn't look completely right (unsupported CSS) or some functionality doesn't seem to be working (unsupported JS operations), it will always be possible to simply use phpBB with any browser.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

brunoais wrote: As long as we keep on using progressive enhancement, phpBB will always "work" in IE8, even if it doesn't look completely right (unsupported CSS) or some functionality doesn't seem to be working (unsupported JS operations), it will always be possible to simply use phpBB with any browser.
that's not what progressive enhancement is, stop saying progressive enhancement. progressive enhancement has to be aimed at something.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

callumacrae wrote:
brunoais wrote: As long as we keep on using progressive enhancement, phpBB will always "work" in IE8, even if it doesn't look completely right (unsupported CSS) or some functionality doesn't seem to be working (unsupported JS operations), it will always be possible to simply use phpBB with any browser.
that's not what progressive enhancement is, stop saying progressive enhancement. progressive enhancement has to be aimed at something.
Is wikipedia wrong, then? If so, how so?

Going4Quests

Post by Going4Quests »

Was going to bring up the Edge story, but reading the OP stated this, I just go by saying just IE11. :P

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Fortunately my Browse Happy extension can be installed so people stuck back in the dark ages with IE8 or worse will be nudged into upgrading, and warned that their experience will suck if they don't. Not that this should be news to them as most major sites already leave IE8 users behind (Facebook, google, twitter, news sites, etc.).

Of course, what we would be leaving IE8 users behind with are only little things (like brunoais said). Mostly style issues, and maybe a few UX issues. I will not shed a tear for them :roll:
Has an irascible disposition.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

DavidIQ wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:57 pm
Volksdevil wrote:I'm not wrong, I'm sharing my own experience of using said product. It's OK everybody here saying I haven't kept up with development...I shouldn't have to. The average user simply uses the browser (IE Version whatever) and should expect it to work well. In my experience it does not. Whenever I have a browser session 'Crash' it's always, and I mean always when using IE.
Funny...I have the same experience with Chrome. ;) I think mileage varies.

Personally I stick to IE (11+) since Chrome is a resource hog and I don't have any extra issues that I don't have with Chrome. The web in general works and looks the same between the two as far as I've seen. If it doesn't work in IE 11 and I check it with Chrome...it doesn't work there either. I only keep Chrome around just because of the occasional "it doesn't look right in Chrome" report I get.
I genuinely struggle to believe that. Test, go here: http://www.opelmanta400.uk/ Tell me how smooth the CSS3 image transition is (Not) for you in I.E. The image of the car that slides in...
Now try it in Chrome...See any difference? In fact, hear any difference too? In I.E there's a stupid 'tick' noise at the end of the audio, and yet it's just a HTML5 audio tag. That's two issues on one very simple page of a website.
EDIT: Sound issue was my fault.
Last edited by Volksdevil on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khaos-Rage

Post by Khaos-Rage »

Volksdevil wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:16 pm I genuinely struggle to believe that. Test, go here: http://www.opelmanta400.uk/ Tell me how smooth the CSS3 image transition is (Not) for you in I.E. The image of the car that slides in...
Now try it in Chrome...See any difference? In fact, hear any difference too? In I.E there's a stupid 'tick' noise at the end of the audio, and yet it's just a HTML5 audio tag. That's two issues on one very simple page of a website.
I get the 'tick' sound on IE, Edge and Firefox, and I found out why too. It's because of poor codec usage via the web designer.

The ogg file is only the tick sound (bad conversion or bad editing)
[...]somewhere/sound.ogg

The m4a file also has the click in the sound track, although it's more of a thump sound.
[...]somewhere/sound.m4a

The mp3 file which is what chrome chooses to play by default does not have any click.
[...]somewhere/sound.mp3

So this isn't a browser issue, it's a website issue.

The image transition is smooth in ie11 but it just fires off too soon (sooner than the other browsers do anyway).

Also what I think DavidIQ is mainly referring to is Chrome is definitely a resource hog.

Why Chrome Uses So Much Freaking RAM Lifehacker
Butchering The Google Chrome CPU Hog SocMedSean.com
Chrome is a memory hog Reddit

The only place I use Chrome now is just my Moto G, other than that it's either Edge (for something quick) or Firefox
Last edited by DavidIQ on Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: "Obfuscated" links at site owner's request