phpbb 4 framework

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
xaoseric

phpbb 4 framework

Post by xaoseric »

This might be a tad early, but for phpbb4, we should use the larvel framework with the blade template system.

imkingdavid

Re: phpbb 4 framework

Post by imkingdavid »

With regards to phpBB 4, please see the following blog post: https://blog.phpbb.com/2013/10/15/phpbb ... w-release/ Specifically, I am quoting the relevant part:
Behind the scenes, we have been making major changes to phpBB’s architecture. Over the last few years you may have seen us discussing plans for phpBB4 – a rewrite of phpBB based on the Symfony2 PHP web framework. In the time since, we have been gradually integrating Symfony components into phpBB 3.1. After much discussion and deliberation, we have determined that a full rewrite of the phpBB codebase is not the ideal process for achieving these major improvements. Instead, an iterative process of replacing individual subsystems within phpBB will allow users to see these improvements realized in shorter periods of time. We have already started this process, and most recently replaced phpBB’s old template engine with twig. The increased utilization of third party libraries allows us to dedicate more resources on improving the forum components while simultaneously benefiting from the improvements that third-party developers make to their components. You will therefore be seeing improvements we had originally planned for phpBB4 much sooner, in 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, and beyond.
In summary, a full rewrite would take a considerably larger amount of manpower and resources than we currently have. Rather than rewriting the software from scratch on top of a framework (we chose symfony, rather than laravel, and twig instead of blade), we are gradually implementing symfony components either as new features or in place of current systems. 3.1 will contain the biggest amount of new components (routing, config, httpkernel, dependency-injection, et al) and when we move to a more regular release schedule, the addition of components will become more gradual. Eventually, when the codebase has strayed far enough from the 3.x line, we will name it 4.x and move forward.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

imkingdavid wrote:we chose symfony, rather than laravel, and twig instead of blade
From what I understand, phpbb might be gradually re-written based on Symfony2 framework in the future. But since its a long way from now, I wonder if that needs to be reviewed again. atm, Laravel seems to be getting more and more popular everyday and a lot of php developers gives high regards to it. So is there any particular reason you guys chose symfony, instead of laravel? What happens if by the time you complete re-writing phpbb based on Symfony-2 and by then Laravel has taken over the storm and becomes the favorite in the overall php developers community and is more stable? How far in the future are we looking for big changes like this?

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

Laravel 4 is indeed the most popular and probably the most elegant framework for php. I am not saying most used, because there are still too many developers using symfony, because they are used to it and they have no reason to switch and learn new FW. In my opinion, you are right. But I doubt that phpbb team would change their mind. I myself also develop in Laravel now and it is possible, that I will leave developing phpbb 3.1 mods, because I will want to focus only on laravel projects.

In the article they also say there is "Laravel community seems to mostly favor the ease of entry – virtually no learning curve" and that is so true. When I decided to create first project in Laravel, I just opened documentation and in few hours, I already had half functional application. The other half was a little bit more tricky so I finished the whole app in 4 days. However when I wanted to create something in symfony, I had to constantly search in documentation, find solutions, it took me so much more time and it really did not looked like easing development. I was much more effective with my own php framework then symfony even when I had to create everything by myself. So I think, laravel would be good for MOD authors who dont know symfony or any FW, because everything is so obvious and clear in laravel.

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

Laravel community seems to mostly favor the ease of entry – virtually no learning curve
That is what appealed to me as well. I am new to FWs myself and over the past months when I was learning (or rather researching) on different php FW, I also realised that Laravel is good even for newcomers. However, Symfony is not bad neither since they have so much resources and tutorials on that. Their documentation is awesome as well as most modular. But its not something that newbies can learn very quickly (when compared to Laravel I mean). Some php developers also say that Symfony might be quite bloated and slow sometimes. When compared to this Laravel seems to be much better. I guess we need to try both FW in order to come to a fair conclusion ourself.
So I think, laravel would be good for MOD authors who dont know symfony or any FW, because everything is so obvious and clear in laravel.
I agree with that 100%! Like you said, since Laravel is much easier to learn than Symfony, this will be a HUGE advantage for MOD authors. Especially for the newbie MOD authors who are just getting into it and for those who doesnt have any experience with other php Frameworks.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

You're talking about using an entire framework stack, which is not what we're planning on doing at any time (it would require an entire rewrite, which is not even on the table at this time). We use components from a variety of frameworks and put everything together into our own system to replace our own older custom written code.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

From what I understand, phpbb might be gradually re-written based on Symfony2 framework in the future.
Actually, that's exactly what is happening for 3.1. We have integrated the Routing, Dependency Injection, HttpKernel, and several other components already, and we are looking into the Forms component, and probably a few others. Instead of doing a complete scratch and start over, we decided to gradually replace core systems with Symfony components. The 4.0 rewrite is essentially off the table at this point; rather, once the codebase has diverged enough from its current state, due to inclusion of 3rd-party components, we will simply bump the version number.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

methylene

Post by methylene »

I do not know if this needs to be said but Laravel is written on top of the same Symfony 2 Components that the phpBB team are planning to use. just an FYI