What is the future of phpBB????

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
EXreaction

Re: What is the future of phpBB????

Post by EXreaction »

Certainly we would like a new design, however nobody as of yet has submitted a new design proposal.

Darkness_demoN

Post by Darkness_demoN »

Kamahl19 wrote:I have a bad feeling phpbb will use prosilver also in 10th version in 2030 :) I just dont understand why nobody wants to remake the design. Thats what users care about. I am not saying phpbb should follow all trends and hypes but there has to be some visual progress in design after 7 years.
+1

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

EXreaction wrote:Certainly we would like a new design, however nobody as of yet has submitted a new design proposal.
I have suggested before maybe adopting an existing custom style as the new default style.

Absolution, we_clearblue, we_universal, Artodia Helion are all examples of styles I think take the look to that next level.
Has an irascible disposition.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I'm not sure if that has been considered before, but that's quite far from the route we have taken in the past with contributions.

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

I would consider announcing some kind of competition for the best phpbb default design. People could submit their ideas and I am sure they would. They did not so far because they think phpbb team does not want to change the prosilver design. Maybe you would find great default design or maybe just some ideas for improving prosilver.

This new design could be created only with using Twig syntax and with mobile-first approach and could be the great replacement for subsilver in 3.2

Darkness_demoN

Post by Darkness_demoN »

Kamahl19 wrote:I would consider announcing some kind of competition for the best phpbb default design. People could submit their ideas and I am sure they would. They did not so far because they think phpbb team does not want to change the prosilver design. Maybe you would find great default design or maybe just some ideas for improving prosilver.

This new design could be created only with using Twig syntax and with mobile-first approach and could be the great replacement for subsilver in 3.2
Yea contest will be good idea. That will give us more styles in database too :) +++++1

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

No it would not. I am not saying about competition for coders but for designers. It is huge difference. 99% of phpbb styles are made by coders who are not designers and thats why are all these styles so ugly.. Designers should provide only ideas and psds.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

VSE+ wrote:
EXreaction wrote:Certainly we would like a new design, however nobody as of yet has submitted a new design proposal.
I have suggested before maybe adopting an existing custom style as the new default style.

Absolution, we_clearblue, we_universal, Artodia Helion are all examples of styles I think take the look to that next level.
I don't see a big problem with prosilver, personally. I've used we_clearblue on some of my forums and I even suggested adding a couple of the features to prosilver. I don't like Absolution/Artodia Helion at all and we_universal is almost the same as we_clearblue to me.

Unfortunately, that's the problem with styles; different people like different things. I find most of them hideous. No matter what is done, some people will like it and some wont.

What we need is a system for styles, like the Extensions, that allows people to change them without having to redo all of the edits. I hate to say it again but WordPress is a perfect example of being able to install/change themes and plugins without having to make a bunch of edits or worrying much about conflicts. The 3.0.x system for styles is just too much of a pain so I've come to appreciate prosilver and I actually like it with a few tweaks. ;)
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Ger

Post by Ger »

Wordpress uses inheritance just like phpBB does.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

I've switched WordPress themes without having to reedit them for plugins which is something we can't do in 3.0.x. They do *something* different...
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol: