[RFC] Define max-width for prosilver

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
PayBas

Re: Define max-width for prosilver

Post by PayBas »

I think we're settling on 8 * 12 * 12 = 1152px (+12px padding both sides)

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

I prefer no Web site to require my browser to be wider than 1024 pixels. I guess I'm old school. :)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

@callumacrae

a breakpoint is a media query on the container. You still have a fluid design but your container or wrap has a breakpoint that is padded higher than your container to trigger the different levels as nickvergessen has mentioned.

@ Pont99CA

if its done with the numbers I mentioned then it will work fine at that resolution ;)

@Paybas I would say 15px bleed as 12px is too small at that size. Its smaller than the recommended default font-size :)
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

90% of visitors to my website have an average browser width of 1000px (although I've never used In-Page Analytics before so I could be wrong).

You are a developer. Our users are not.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Pony99CA wrote:I prefer no Web site to require my browser to be wider than 1024 pixels. I guess I'm old school. :)
We're just defining the absolute maximum. Nothing will change for users with monitors below 1280px.
hanakin wrote:a breakpoint is a media query on the container. You still have a fluid design but your container or wrap has a breakpoint that is padded higher than your container to trigger the different levels as nickvergessen has mentioned.
The proSilver breakpoints are a bit scattered and seem to differ somewhat for different features. It basically looks like they chose the absolute minimum that it will take before breaking the design, and switching to a compact/responsive mode at the last moment (on a per-feature basis). But I agree that having more clearly defined breakpoints would be a good idea.
hanakin wrote: I would say 15px bleed as 12px is too small at that size. Its smaller than the recommended default font-size :)
Have you actually tried it? I simply think that having the same padding on the top and sides looks better. And I'm no expert on this, but why should the bleed be a certain minimum? We have 0px bleed in responsive mode.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

@paybas

Not sure I understand what ur asking?

Yes bleed should be consistent on all sides I would make them all 15px.

This is for large screens it should scale down to 0 for the smallest screen

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

I don't mind bumping it from 12px to 15px. I'm just curious why it matters that "Its smaller than the recommended default font-size".

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

consistency for baseline spacing in the vertical

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Well... since I don't care, but you do... I'll update it to 15px ;).
tmbackoff wrote:I agree having a max-width. Maybe then we can revert the change about the last post column that made it so small.
I can't seem to find the original ticket for that.

On a personal note: 1158px is too wide for me personally. Simply too many words on one line. But I think it's a good default width for extensions and whatever.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

PayBas wrote: On a personal note: 1158px is too wide for me personally. Simply too many words on one line
1152px? Also the words per line is do to the fact that the sections are not space out appropriately and the font-size is probably too small.

Something we can definitely fix in 3.2