[RFC] Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
keith10456

Re: Combine all search related functionality

Post by keith10456 »

Originally I thought that it would be for Global search. I don't understand how it could be too confusing in global not not too confusing elsewhere. Personally, I don't find it confusing at all... It would be seem more appropriate in the global search.

Maybe one of the devs could clarify their reasoning for not wanting it in the global search.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Okay, so if we take a step back, the predefined searches (new topics, unanswered, etc.) are related to the forum as a whole, not the topic. So IF we break this apart, the most logical place to put them would be in the header (or footer).

Given that we don't have any suitable place in the header to place any real buttons (except for maybe next to the header search bar), an alternative would be to have a link in the header that has a dropdown.

Imagine the current link "View your posts" being replaced by "Quick links", which has a dropdown just like notifications. But this dropdown will be much smaller (like the normal dropdowns) and has all the links that my PR currently has.

M.Gaetan89

Post by M.Gaetan89 »

Isn't it possible to replace the searchbar in the header with the one proposed on the topic view? With the dropdown and new design?
And on the topic view just keep the new design for the searchbar.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

M.Gaetan89 wrote:Isn't it possible to replace the searchbar in the header with the one proposed on the topic view? With the dropdown and new design?
And on the topic view just keep the new design for the searchbar.
That wasn't Marshalrusty's point.

The point was that from a "user" point of view, these links have nothing to do with "search" (even though they are for search.php), and therefor shouldn't be grouped with search-boxes at all.

I don't necessarily share his opinion, but I see his point.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

im not sure if thats true though in the confines of what they functionally do. the links are filters for what content you want to view. so is the search in that requard. look at The tracker, for example you have a global search option to narrow down your view and all the filters that you can add and apply to further narrow down your view
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

PayBas wrote:Okay, so if we take a step back, the predefined searches (new topics, unanswered, etc.) are related to the forum as a whole, not the topic. So IF we break this apart, the most logical place to put them would be in the header (or footer).

Given that we don't have any suitable place in the header to place any real buttons (except for maybe next to the header search bar), an alternative would be to have a link in the header that has a dropdown.

Imagine the current link "View your posts" being replaced by "Quick links", which has a dropdown just like notifications. But this dropdown will be much smaller (like the normal dropdowns) and has all the links that my PR currently has.
How about removing the "Search" and "View your posts" links, and in their place adding the new Search box to the left of Notifications or to the right of "Logout/Login".

Another place could be the left of the "Index" link or to the right/left of the Username/icon.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

EDIT: sorry, it's out of date
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

After some lengthy discussion we have decided to split the functionality up move it to the global search field in the header under a separate button. Then just remove the cog and drop-down from the action bar search but leaving all the rest of its updated look. so I have a few mock-ups with some different icon options for the search field and we will use the same for the action bar search field.

Also I provided an alternate placement for the search field as well. Just to ensure we capture all suggestions as it really looks odd in the standard header to me personally. You all be the judge vote it up
header.png
(79.57 KiB) Downloaded 641 times
Here is the transcript from IRC as well.
21:12 PayBas: YuriyRusko: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=45679&p=265215#p265215
21:20 @YuriyRusko: PayBas: That sounds far more logical, I think
21:21 @YuriyRusko: It makes sense that global navigation options that are the most popular views on the board would be somewhere in the header
21:24 PayBas: How do you guys normally settle a difference of opinion? Seniority?
21:24 (hanakin) but if its as is and moved to the header with a filter icon does that work?

21:25 PayBas: I don't really care too much. As long as it gets merged
21:25 (hanakin) which is why i suggested just changing the icon lol
21:26 (hanakin) eitherway the links are left alone on the main page right?
21:28 (hanakin) just drop the dropdown for know and merge the updated search
21:28 PayBas: oh...
21:28 PayBas: well that would be missing 50% of the purpose
21:28 (hanakin) we can work the other issue in after that
21:28 PayBas: I wanted those links accessible from every page
21:29 (hanakin) so do i but this way its not holding up anything
21:29 PayBas: but if need be, I'll split the issue
21:30 (hanakin) im just tossing out ideas
21:31 PayBas: about the "filter" icon. I think you are overestimating how well known it is

21:36 @YuriyRusko: What was the issue with moving the filtering dropdown to the header somewhere?
21:36 PayBas: Okay, so far everyone has agreed that the new search box looks better. So I'm going to split the tickets
21:36 @YuriyRusko: Definitely does
21:36 PayBas: We'll deal with the predefined searches separately
21:37 @YuriyRusko: We have "view your posts" in the header, right?
21:37 (hanakin) YuriyRusko I suggested just taking what he has and replacing the search in the header with that then dropping the dropdown in the actionbar
21:37 PayBas: Yes
21:37 @YuriyRusko: Why not change that into a discreet-ish dropdown?
21:38 @YuriyRusko: Right, exactly
21:38 @YuriyRusko: I think we're on the same page
21:38 @YuriyRusko: This makes it far more usable anyway, since it's always in the same place
21:38 (hanakin) that was the original proposal
21:38 @YuriyRusko: And the objection came from...?
21:39 (hanakin) conversation is on the git pull

21:41 @YuriyRusko: Anyway, is there a mockup somewhere of how this looks?
21:41 PayBas: My new proposal?
21:41 @YuriyRusko: Because if it looks good, I'm rather ready to fight for it
21:41 @YuriyRusko: Yes
21:41 PayBas: Frankly... making a mockup would take as much time as implementing I think

21:43 @YuriyRusko: If you guys are with me, then go for it :)
21:43 PayBas: Wait... are we talking about changing "View your topics" to "Quick links" with a dropdown? Or changing the header search to include a new button for predefined searches?
21:43 @YuriyRusko: And I'll take care of the bitching that ensues
21:44 @YuriyRusko: Which do you think is better? I'd say the "quick links" option, as it clearly describes what's in there
21:44 @YuriyRusko: Everyone will click it and say "ooh, that's useful"
21:44 (hanakin) I thought we were just replacing the search in the header with this one , then updating the search in the actionbar to remove the drop-down
21:44 @YuriyRusko: And it can even be expanded to include other useful things if you can figure out how to make it look good
21:45 @YuriyRusko: Well wait
21:45 (hanakin) what was the quick-links thing
21:45 @YuriyRusko: We can maybe do both at the same time?
21:45 PayBas: hanakin: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=45679&p=265219#p265215
21:45 (hanakin) hmm
21:46 @YuriyRusko: That is to say, when you click on the gear next to the search, the dropdown could be titles "quick links"?
21:46 @YuriyRusko: That way there is no confusion over what it actually is
21:46 @YuriyRusko: titled*

21:47 (hanakin) @YuriyRusko I like the placement better with the search than in the navigation
21:47 PayBas: YuriyRusko: but you would want it seperated by some space right, so as not to give the impression that its "search" related
21:47 @YuriyRusko: Frankly, either of these options is good for two reasons: (1) it makes this accessible and drastically increases the chance that people will know where to look for it and actually use it and (2) it frees up space in viewtopic for other things that just make sense
21:48 @YuriyRusko: So which option you choose is really up to you, as long as it looks good, which doesn't seem to be a problem for you anyway
21:48 @YuriyRusko: I would prefer the links to be labeled as "links" somehow.
21:48 PayBas: I'll take that as a compliment of my skills, or an accusation of having no life
21:49 @YuriyRusko: I am thinking of the Android folder look
21:49 @YuriyRusko: Know what I'm talking about?
21:49 @YuriyRusko: http://i.stack.imgur.com/86qGv.png
21:49 @YuriyRusko: Where it's labeled as "Google"
21:49 @YuriyRusko: Could we do this and label it "quick links"?
21:50 (hanakin) we can do http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Aweso ... llipsis-h/ maybe?
21:50 (hanakin) just put a round border aound it
21:50 PayBas: hanakin: http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icon/bolt/
21:50 PayBas: :P
21:50 (hanakin) or bolt
21:51 @YuriyRusko: I'm not sure bolt works, but ellipsis isn't bad?
21:51 PayBas: YuriyRusko: I really don't know what you are suggesting with the android look
21:52 @YuriyRusko: For the drop down to have a label on the bottom
21:52 @YuriyRusko: That clearly defined it as containing links
21:52 PayBas: ooooh
21:52 PayBas: We usually just use titles for that. We'd use the first <li>
21:54 PayBas: hanakin: could you make a mockup of the header? I dont think we need a mockup of the "View your posts" > "Quick links" version
sorry for the long post
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

It looks like a lightsaber's hilt. Let's give a red color and shadow to the search field's border when it is selected. Sith style. :P

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Personally I'd go with #2 or #3. Its definitely a step in the right direction.

#7 would be the cleanest of course, but we'll get into all kinds of trouble with the breadcrumbs.