[RFC] Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

Post by MattF »

Volksdevil wrote:My input from the tracker:

Maybe an 'Option' (Yes another one!) in the Admin panel under Board or search settings or something?
"Show search links on index page" > YES | NO
You're gonna get the usual "no, not another ACP option" response on that one, which I agree with. This should not be something that has a setting. It should just be as it was, has always been (in 3.0), and costs nothing performance-wise to have it there, especially since it's only on the index_body.html page..

I look at it like a desk chair... They always have adjustability to accommodate a range of people's comfort/needs... We should aim to accommodate our user's comfort/needs as well, and provide the familiar old way and the new QL way.
Louis7777 wrote:^Um if they are restored back on the index then please remove the quick links completely from the navbar. Let's not have double trouble...
I don't see any issue. There's not really any negative cost to having a few options available to users on how they want to access these particular links - if you like menu diving, use QL menu, but I'm sure if it were also restored to the index page, most of us will resort to using those again. It's also nice that when away from the index page, those links are always available via the QL menu, which is why I am not suggesting they ever be removed from QL menu.
Has an irascible disposition.

bonelifer
Community Team
Community Team

Post by bonelifer »

Volksdevil wrote:My input from the tracker:

Maybe an 'Option' (Yes another one!) in the Admin panel under Board or search settings or something?
"Show search links on index page" > YES | NO
Something like this extension?
https://github.com/tmbackoff/Search
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Wouldn't it be better to have a navbar like this?
navbar.png
(7.67 KiB) Downloaded 651 times
Very easy to accomplish. Restore the 4 links on the index, send the "View your posts" to the username dropdown, and send the FAQ to the footer. Oh, and kill the empty quick links dropdown.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

I do see your point VSE, but it wouldn't be accommodating myself for one...

After having set up a new site/test site, 3.1 is looking more modern, more fresh to me due to the changes that have been made. I like it, and I'd have to remove the search links from the core code just for visual reasons. No big deal really, but an 'Option' would be truly accommodating in that sense. And looking at the 'Search settings' in the ACP, I think it could handle a simple 'YES | NO' option for the links to be shown/not be shown.

I'm easy either way I suppose but I'm trying to set up a new site with as few tweaks to the core as possible this time, so this (If implemented) would be the first core change I'd have to make.

@BoneLifer, I've not properly looked at that but I will do.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Louis7777 wrote:Wouldn't it be better to have a navbar like this?
navbar.png
Very easy to accomplish. Restore the 4 links on the index, send the "View your posts" to the username dropdown, and send the FAQ to the footer. Oh, and kill the empty quick links dropdown.
-1 Looks unbalanced, and also makes links even harder to get to by putting them in the footer.
Has an irascible disposition.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

navbar.png

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

navbar.png
well design theory actually tells us that it should all be left aligned if you wish to get technical by following F-Layout and right aligned for RTL.

but you removed way too much content.

@VSE I see no problem with restoring the old links as well but I for see more ppl becoming a custom to the new menu as it accessible on all pages and not just the home page sort of like a transition into 3.2 which will be completely changed anyway.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

VSE wrote:
Louis7777 wrote:^Um if they are restored back on the index then please remove the quick links completely from the navbar. Let's not have double trouble...
I don't see any issue. There's not really any negative cost to having a few options available to users on how they want to access these particular links - if you like menu diving, use QL menu, but I'm sure if it were also restored to the index page, most of us will resort to using those again. It's also nice that when away from the index page, those links are always available via the QL menu, which is why I am not suggesting they ever be removed from QL menu.
I've created my first rage comic, just in case. :lol:
ragecomic.png
(90.45 KiB) Downloaded 564 times

sajaki

Post by sajaki »

The active topics link was probably the first thing i click on visiting a 3.0 board. not sure why you think it's clutter. now i have to select it from the popup.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

sajaki wrote:The active topics link was probably the first thing i click on visiting a 3.0 board. not sure why you think it's clutter. now i have to select it from the popup.
No one said that it's not useful.