This leads to a few issues:
- Creating documentation while creating the PR and code is very difficult and not realistic (it's possible the PR may not be accepted as-is and thus documentation would be there for nothing).
- Nobody wants to create documentation after a PR for a feature is merged. The original author is likely to have moved on to other issues and nobody else is likely to do it.
- As features are changed, documentation on the Wiki is not updated to reflect the changes.
- Documentation does not take into account different versions of phpBB (or even identify which version the documentation is for) unless explicitly stated.
To fix these problems we need to do a few things:
- Move documentation to the phpBB repository so documentation can be created as code is written and documentation is version specific.
- Require API documentation in PRs before they will be accepted
They use http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html