Moving to namespaces

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Re: Moving to namespaces

Post by nickvergessen »

MichaelC wrote:
Oleg wrote:Are you willing to write a patch before it is decided whether it will go into 3.1 or 3.2?
Sure but I have no idea how long it will take me to write the patch and test it and therefore whether it will be done for 3.1. ;) It isn't so much complicated as time-consuming going through all the classes. Then checking everything works afterwards.
I think that was rhetorical?

And as others already noted, I think we should focus on actually getting 3.1 done and not adding tones of "change something because it could be changed"...
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Marc »

Generally a +1 from me.

Also a big -1 for 3.1

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Marc wrote:Generally a +1 from me.

Also a big -1 for 3.1
I don't mind which version it goes into. If people are fine with breaking BC with every single class name in 3.2 then fine. I was just trying to preserve BC.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Ideally I would like to see a diff and then decide if it's something I want to include in 3.1.

The current code works. Community is waiting for 3.1 to come out to see what we've done with extensions. Another option is to make the entire 3.1 a preview release. We will obviously support upgrades from 3.0 to 3.1 to 3.2 for the core, therefore people running unmodified boards can install 3.1 and try it out. Extension authors can install 3.1 and figure out which events they need. Then we'll break compat between 3.1 and 3.2 with the intention that 3.2 is the version extensions will be targeting.

sajaki

Post by sajaki »

are namespaces coming to 3.1 now ? i'm using PSR0 already for future mods/exts.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

3.1 will not implement namespaces.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Yes it will ;-) (After discussion at Montreal Hackathon)

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

This has been merged now. All tests are working and basic functionality was also confirmed to be working manually, but I imagine we'll uncover some left over issues soon. I'll update area51 in the next few days as well to test it more thorougly in areas we lack functional tests.