[RFC] Responsive layout

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
keith10456

Re: Responsive layout

Post by keith10456 »

@ Master_Cylinder - Can you post a link to the style?

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Sure:
we_clearblue

(I figured style people would know about it)
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Master_Cylinder

Will the forum title and description be able to be aligned vertically with the responsive layout? I read that it wasn't possible with 3.0.x due to the table-less design and since we're now adding the last topic with the last poster, the spacing looks weird when the description fits on a single line.

EDIT:
Oddly enough the we_clearblue style I mentioned before has that aligned vertically but I don't know if they added tables to do it or what... *shrug*
These kids today...

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Vertical alignment is possible without tables.

Master_Cylinder

DavidIQ wrote:Vertical alignment is possible without tables.
In 3.1 or 3.0.x too? :?

Re: Forum title and description center alignment
"Using a prosilver (table-less layout) it's not going to be possible to perfectly center [vertical] align the forum name and description. You'll need to use padding top to move the content down a few pixels, and give the impression that it's vertically aligned."
These kids today...

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

You can do it with CSS. Wether or not prosilver makes this easy is another story but, generally speaking, you can vertically align items in div tags using CSS without the need for table tags.

Master_Cylinder

Interesting...thanks.

I would suggest that centered vertical alignment for 3.1 Prosilver then, since we're adding the equivalent of NV advanced last topic titles, it looks better, imho. If not, I guess people will be able to tweak it. :D
These kids today...

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Master_Cylinder wrote:One change that I'd like to see is actually from another prosilver based style called "we_clearblue." On the index it combines the "Topics" and "Posts" columns into one "statistics" column and in viewforum it combines "Replies" and "Views" into one column. (see screenshots) This seems like a much more efficient use of space, especially with the new responsive layout.

I also like the WCB menus on top but that might be going too far for a prosilver tweak... ;)
Although I'm a fan of how we_clearblue did that, I am skeptical about it in Prosilver in 3.1.x because there already was a change that really slams the last three columns all the way to the far right. Reducing them to two columns would make for an ocean of nothingness between the topic titles, and topic stats/last post columns in 3.1.x.

I also went ahead and mocked it up in browser, and it doesn't look nearly as good as one might have expected. It looks very cramped on the right, in stark contrast to all the free (or negative) space in the middle and left. Not to mention it also pushes the height of each topic row to even greater unneeded heights, looking bad too! Fonts are shrunk too, to make the replies/visits fit, making for increased font inconsistency across the row, etc. It just makes things worse, IMO, now that I'm seeing it.

So my vote is -1
Screen Shot 2014-01-08 at 5.06.51 PM.png
(43.62 KiB) Downloaded 2731 times
Prosilver is good the way it is... This suggested change would be better suited to radically altered styles like we_clearblue instead, IMO, where the change suits the layout of the style as a whole.

Edit: I also think it breaks the natural flow of left to right reading.
Has an irascible disposition.

Master_Cylinder

I see what you're saying but when there are longer topic titles (which have been increased to 128 char) and descriptions or if the browser window isn't fullscreen+landscape+1080p it's another story. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather have the blank space after the topic title/description than wasted by using two columns for topic/post/views/etc. Imagine how much better it looks when the responsive part kicks in for smaller screens?
smallerscreen.jpg
(110.09 KiB) Downloaded 2722 times
Thanks for mocking that up though. :D

WCB isn't that radically altered, imho. Centered text, squared bottom corners, a little more padding, the combined columns and the menu. It's mostly cosmetic other than *he* uses tables which DavidIQ says isn't needed. *shrug*
These kids today...