[RFC|Merged] notification box

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Post Reply
User avatar
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Posts: 1046
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:37 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: [RFC] notification box

Post by callumacrae »

ecwpa wrote:
EXreaction wrote:
VSE+ wrote:Regarding styling... Have you seen how Ebay does it with their Notifications in their menubar? You just hover the mouse and it appears in a drop-down. Something like that would be nice, as long as it is properly themed to look like part of Prosilver.
notifications.jpg
I agree. This can be a problem if you're browsing it from a touch screen.
Certainly with iPhones, the first tap will fire the mouseover event and not the click event (if a mouseover event exists).

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3038 ... ick-a-link
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: [RFC] notification box

Post by EXreaction »

Oh, yes, just a spelling mistake. It's a note so it'll be removed once I get to fixing the problem.

User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: [RFC] notification box

Post by EXreaction »

If anyone could test this some more that would be extremely helpful. There are just a few things left to do (Unit Tests, Notification Grouping, Template Related).

The UCP panel is done (either run install/database_update.php to install the module, or it should be installed when installing phpbb), so that can be tested out as well.

Plain notifications, Email notifications, and Jabber notifications should all work. I have not yet tested Jabber notifications, but they *should* work (you must enable and configure Jabber to test this).

User avatar
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 am
Location: Hollister, CA
Contact:

Re: [RFC] notification box

Post by Pony99CA »

EXreaction wrote:I'm working on the UCP and here is what it looks like now, any input would be appreciated.
Are the following options removed from the Board Preferences UCP section:
  • Notify me on new private messages: I presume this is gone as it's in the image that you showed.
  • Pop up window on new private message: This probably could be removed as a notification can somewhat replace the pop-up window; if not, should that option be moved to this page?
  • Notify me upon replies by default: I presume not, but should that option be moved to this page or left where it is?
I would also suggest a well-defined ordering to the notifications, either alphabetic or grouped by type (Replies, PMs, Moderation, etc.) and alphabetic within types. To that end, you might be less verbose in the notification descriptions (to make it easier to see the sorting). I suggest something more like:
  • Bookmarked topic replied to
  • Private Message received
  • Subscribed topic replied to
  • Quoted a post of mine
  • Subscribed forum has new topic
Those are in the same order as in your image, not my suggested order. ;)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

User avatar
oddfish
Registered User
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:53 am
Location: on my way home
Contact:

Re: [RFC] notification box

Post by oddfish »

This requires some attention :
oddfish wrote:..Only tested as Admin :
  • Subscribe to forum as Admin.
  • User1 posts a new topic.
  • User2 posts a new topic.
Subscribe to both topics as Admin.
  • User1 replies to User2 topic.
  • User2 replies to User1 topic.
Check Notifications as Admin then
  • Edit User2 reply to User1 topic as Admin.
Check Notifications again.

User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: [RFC] notification box

Post by EXreaction »

Pony99CA wrote:
EXreaction wrote:I'm working on the UCP and here is what it looks like now, any input would be appreciated.
Are the following options removed from the Board Preferences UCP section:
  • Notify me on new private messages: I presume this is gone as it's in the image that you showed.
  • Pop up window on new private message: This probably could be removed as a notification can somewhat replace the pop-up window; if not, should that option be moved to this page?
  • Notify me upon replies by default: I presume not, but should that option be moved to this page or left where it is?
The first two are, since they are replaced with notification options for PMs, the second has to do with topic subscriptions, which is separate from notifications (this does not change topic subscriptions at all other than replacing the code that actually handles sending out the notifications for topic subscriptions). I think that option should probably just be left alone.
Pony99CA wrote:I would also suggest a well-defined ordering to the notifications, either alphabetic or grouped by type (Replies, PMs, Moderation, etc.) and alphabetic within types. To that end, you might be less verbose in the notification descriptions (to make it easier to see the sorting). I suggest something more like:
  • Bookmarked topic replied to
  • Private Message received
  • Subscribed topic replied to
  • Quoted a post of mine
  • Subscribed forum has new topic
Those are in the same order as in your image, not my suggested order. ;)
Creating groups by type is probably a good idea, I'm not sure if I can easily setup an ordering system with this because of how dynamic it is though. I think more verbose descriptions are more helpful to users, but perhaps a short title and explanation text would be better.
oddfish wrote:This requires some attention :
oddfish wrote:..Only tested as Admin :
  • Subscribe to forum as Admin.
  • User1 posts a new topic.
  • User2 posts a new topic.
Subscribe to both topics as Admin.
  • User1 replies to User2 topic.
  • User2 replies to User1 topic.
Check Notifications as Admin then
  • Edit User2 reply to User1 topic as Admin.
Check Notifications again.
Did the posts require approval initially? Would you be able to quickly test this again with the latest code from a few hours ago?

User avatar
oddfish
Registered User
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:53 am
Location: on my way home
Contact:

Re: [RFC] notification box

Post by oddfish »

EXreaction wrote:
oddfish wrote:This requires some attention : ...
Did the posts require approval initially? Would you be able to quickly test this again with the latest code from a few hours ago?
No approval required, User1 is Global Moderator and User2 is Registered User and using the latest code.

EDIT: chasing my tail on this - will get some more tests done.

EDIT2: Here are a few results from a clean install using MySQL 5.5, PHP 5.4 and composer.phar update.

Code: Select all

Fatal error: SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
Table '31_noti.phpbb_notifications' doesn't exist [1146]
SQL
SELECT COUNT(*) AS count FROM phpbb_notifications WHERE user_id = 2 AND unread = 1 in /public_html/noti/includes/db/dbal.php on line 809
  • Notifications module is installed but due to the above error, running database_update.php adds in a second notifications module.
  • Submit selection/s in UCP -> Overview .. Notification options shows no confirmation.
  • Reset does nothing.
  • Selecting Someone replies to a topic you are subscribed to and Someone creates a topic in a forum you are subscribed to does not notify user of a reply.
  • Notifications change when editing as per my previous posts.

User avatar
oddfish
Registered User
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:53 am
Location: on my way home
Contact:

Re: [RFC] notification box

Post by oddfish »

Something else to chew on.
I set up a test on Windows :shock: using Wamp and the results are different using the same procedures used on Debian. Again, testing was done as Admin using User1 and User2 posts.
  • The order of Notification types in UCP -> Overview .. Notification options are different.
  • The time changes to a viewed notified reply in [ Notifications ] when editing a post, to the edited time.
  • No additional reply was added to [ Notifications ] when editing a reply which is a change from linux and server test.

User avatar
VSE
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations
Posts: 673
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:18 am

Re: [RFC] notification box

Post by VSE »

Check these out for styling inspiration

http://designwithpc.com/Plugins/ddSlick#demo
Has an irascible disposition.

User avatar
Jessica.
Registered User
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:17 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: [RFC] notification box

Post by Jessica. »

Just wondering, how are the settings set up? Do users get to chose what they get notified on, or can only the admin change that?

Post Reply