[RFC|Merged] notification box

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Oleg

Re: [RFC] notification box

Post by Oleg »

Are we going to go through github's process of adding notifications, adding more notifications, having so many notifications that they become impossible to read and then converting them to mystery meat navigation which is still impossible to read but in a different way?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Well that's up to the forum owner and the user what they want to do with their notifications. I think what has been added is basic enough as a starting point.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I don't think so. While a very active user might be notified very often if they have all notifications active and are subscribed to every topic they post in, it's still very much like how you'd be notified now (you have to subscribe to a topic to be notified of posts).

As for other things, like PMs or posts/topics being approved or items needing your attention, they can all be configured to your individual wants in the UCP (see the attachment).
Attachments
yourdomain.com User Control Panel Edit notification options.png
(90.09 KiB) Downloaded 2312 times

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

That last picture is really nice, I like it.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

EXreaction wrote:I don't think so. While a very active user might be notified very often if they have all notifications active and are subscribed to every topic they post in, it's still very much like how you'd be notified now (you have to subscribe to a topic to be notified of posts).

As for other things, like PMs or posts/topics being approved or items needing your attention, they can all be configured to your individual wants in the UCP (see the attachment).
Will there be a hook to add other methods of notifications (say, SMS) into that?
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

callumacrae wrote:
EXreaction wrote:I don't think so. While a very active user might be notified very often if they have all notifications active and are subscribed to every topic they post in, it's still very much like how you'd be notified now (you have to subscribe to a topic to be notified of posts).

Will there be a hook to add other methods of notifications (say, SMS) into that?
Yes. Just add a new class like:

Code: Select all

class phpbb_ext_callumacrae_addsmsnotification_notification_method_sms extends phppbb_notification_method_base // this implements phpbb_notification_method_interface for you
{
    public function is_available()
    {
        // Do your checks to ensure the sms method is available for the current user, return bool
    }

public function notify()
    {
        // Actual notification action; see the other notification methods' notify() methods for examples
    }
}

Or something to that effect. And it's a quite similar process for adding a notification type. Add a class phpbb_ext_callumacrae_addnotificationtype_notification_type_foobar implements phpbb_notification_type_interface (look here for required methods).
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

I guess I'm going to find it challenging to stick to the 79 character maximum width here... :-D
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

For those of you still testing this, I altered the DB and changed a column name, so to fix that without reinstalling, you can run this query:

Code: Select all

ALTER TABLE  `phpbb_notifications` CHANGE  `is_disabled`  `is_enabled` TINYINT( 1 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT  '1';
UPDATE `phpbb_notifications` SET is_enabled = 1;

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

ACP -> General > Board Configuration > Post settings allows disabling of bookmarks and subscribing.
This removes access to those features in forums and topics.
Should the same happen for the UCP > Board Preferences > Edit notification options as well?
What happens if you are not permissioned to use the pm system in this regard?