[RFC|Merged] notification box

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
oddfish

Re: [RFC] notification box

Post by oddfish »

Previous error confirmed as fixed.
Global Moderator not receiving topic/post approval notification. Admin does.

The Mark read in notifications seems somewhat behind in progression. You have either viewed the topic/post or you have not.
e.g. Once approved a topic/post, notification of that topic/post remains unread when approved in the forum/topic.
As you have approved that topic/post, should that not be marked as read in both forum/topic (as in Unread posts icons) and in the notification?
Perhaps this is default behaviour in 3.x?

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I know about the bug in unread status with the post/topic approval process, I'm looking at ways to fix that still, but no other areas should have issues with unread status.

If you look in the UCP->Edit notification options as that Global Moderator, does it show the option to be notified about topics/posts requiring approval?

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

EXreaction wrote:If you look in the UCP->Edit notification options as that Global Moderator, does it show the option to be notified about topics/posts requiring approval?
Yes, A post or topic needs approval is selected to be notified. Have not tried the email as yet.
Also, Your topics/posts are approved or disapproved by a moderator does not notify the User (in this test, approved by Admin).

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Alright, I will check into that.

The other bug with unread status should be fixed now.
oddfish wrote:Also, Your topics/posts are approved or disapproved by a moderator does not notify the User (in this test, approved by Admin).
Are you using the ajax yes/no to approve posts? The AJAX submission has a bug in that it does not give the option to notify users. On the non-ajax page there is a checkbox that needs to be selected to notify users.

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

I'll do a fresh install and check

EDIT:
As a Global Moderator, Your topics/posts are approved or disapproved by a moderator shows as a selection but as that user, approval is not required. This applies to Admin as well.
Global Moderator is not being notified of a topic/post requiring approval.
User is not being notified of an approved topic/post.
Unread notification still applies after approving a topic/post when using the notification to link to the unapproved topic/post. The Unread posts icons still apply but I do think this is a 3.x behaviour to not change until revisited.
All other notifications are marked as read correctly.

EDIT2:
Notification of a reported post does not carry through to a Global Moderator, only to Admin.
What is the purpose of Someone reports a post for a User? I suspect this relates to a User's own topics/post? (User in this test was a Reg User only).

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

The issues related to global moderators should be fixed now.

Notifications for approved posts/topics have been fixed, but they require the user to manually mark them as read for now.

Could you try to explain "Unread notification still applies after approving a topic/post when using the notification to link to the unapproved topic/post. The Unread posts icons still apply but I do think this is a 3.x behaviour to not change until revisited." again?

I've fixed the report post notification option for users as well, they should not have seen that.

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

That indeed fixed the report, approval and unneeded selections.

The unread notification I referred to was when the notification linked to the post url requiring approval (I think the move to the MCP approval is good). The forum/topic Unread icons (topic_unread.gif & icon_topic_newest.gif) never changed to Read icons (topic_read.gif & icon_topic_latest.gif) once a topic/post was approved in the forum/topic. I not sure if the MCP approval is the same as you actually never view the topic/post in the forums. This issue is off topic but it might explain some of that old issue you relate to in trying to fix another issue with it.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Any forum/topic unread issues would be a phpBB issue, this hasn't changed any of that.

I've created a UCP panel where you can view all of your notifications and mark specific ones or all of them as read.
Attachments
yourdomain.com User Control Panel Manage notifications.png
(135.27 KiB) Downloaded 2153 times

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I added another column to the notifications table. Here is a quick query for those of you following this who'd rather not manually do it or reinstall:

Code: Select all

ALTER TABLE phpbb_notifications ADD is_disabled BOOLEAN NOT NULL DEFAULT FALSE ,
ADD INDEX is_disabled
EDIT: I've added grouping by notification type in the UCP Edit Notification Options
Attachments
yourdomain.com User Control Panel Edit notification options.png
(91.53 KiB) Downloaded 2119 times

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

User creates a new topic and a new post. Both require approval.
Global Moderator gets the notifications and selects the topic to approve first, approves the topic, confirms and waits to be taken back to the moderation queue.
Select Posts awaiting approval .. there are none showing to approve and yet it is there when you revisit the MCP -> Moderation queue or by notifications or the post requiring approval.

Another issue.
Admin approves a topic.
Global Moderator logs in and there is a new notification to approve the very same topic, unread. Of course there is no topic to approve.