[RFC|Merged] Rounded corners via css

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Dragosvr92

Re: [RFC] Rounded corners via css

Post by Dragosvr92 »

hm, was my post deleted ? o.O

If the browser isnt supporting the new css3 propertys they will just get ignored, so there wont be any layout problem. Optional, i think you should include that CSS3PIE Project if the forum owners wish so that their users have rounded corners into IE Browsers also. :ugeek:

I dont think you should worry how they see it in IE anyways..... Experienced users will use modern browsers and not IE, If they are un experienced with the web then its their loss, as always with un experienced people :)
Previous user: TheKiller

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

TheKiller wrote:I dont think you should worry how they see it in IE anyways..... Experienced users will use modern browsers and not IE, If they are un experienced with the web then its their loss, as always with un experienced people :)
That's so NOT true...some users are bound to IE because that is what their workplace requires. And let's not forget that the "experienced user" you are talking about is in the minority here. IE is still very relevant in the browser market, more so than some of the other browsers out there, and is no more dangerous than any other browser (speaking of IE9 here of course).

By the time 3.2 is out IE8 might be pretty irrelevant, but the browser share should be looked at when that time comes and we should be prepared to have a way to address this style in those browsers because I don't think we should penalize users for being poor.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

DavidIQ wrote:By the time 3.2 is out IE8 might be pretty irrelevant, but the browser share should be looked at when that time comes and we should be prepared to have a way to address this style in those browsers because I don't think we should penalize users for being poor.
You say that but look at IE6 after 10 years...
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Unknown Bliss wrote:You say that but look at IE6 after 10 years...
Well yes but at least Microsoft has taken steps to correct this by forcing the Internet Explorer update through Automatic Updates. There's really nothing some user can do if they're using Windows XP and they're stuck using IE other than use IE8. I'm hoping that from here to whenever 3.2 rolls around the IE8 market share will have been reduced enough to be irrelevant but we should be prepared to respond should that not be the case. Maybe by version 4.0 we can definitely ignore those running IE versions less than 9.

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

I suggest this:
- For now use Pie to implement corners for IE7/8. I'll need to test it to see how well it works. If this RFC will get merged into 3.1, it will be released with IE7/8 support.
- If this RFC will not be merged into 3.1, it will go without IE7/8 support because by the time 3.2 will be released, chances are IE8 will become irrelevant.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

It is easy to use.

Here is how i did it.

I specified all the classes separated by commas that use the border-radius property, and then added the behavior line (which is used only by IE Browsers)

Code: Select all

.inner, page-header, .forabg {
	behavior: url({T_TEMPLATE_PATH}/IEFix/PIE.htc);
}
I at first used "*" to specify all the CSS classes/ids, but i've been told that, that makes the page load slower as it has to process the PIE Script on all CSS elements.

The IEFix folder contains the PIE Files....
PIE.htc, PIE.js, PIE.php, PIE_uncompressed.htc, PIE_uncompressed.js

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

DavidIQ wrote:
Unknown Bliss wrote:You say that but look at IE6 after 10 years...
Well yes but at least Microsoft has taken steps to correct this by forcing the Internet Explorer update through Automatic Updates. There's really nothing some user can do if they're using Windows XP and they're stuck using IE other than use IE8.
Use Chrome frame?

I'd rather skip any IE specific workarounds like PIE, and just go with the CSS3 solution. Not having rounded corners is really not the end of the world.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

naderman wrote:Use Chrome frame?
That's fine IF you can actually install software on your computer, which was my point.
naderman wrote:I'd rather skip any IE specific workarounds like PIE, and just go with the CSS3 solution. Not having rounded corners is really not the end of the world.
As long as it doesn't detract TOO much from the user experience then I totally agree, of course. If the site looks like it came from the 90's-era GeoCities then that's taking a step way back. :lol:

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

naderman wrote: Use Chrome frame?

I'd rather skip any IE specific workarounds like PIE, and just go with the CSS3 solution. Not having rounded corners is really not the end of the world.
1+
But maybe you should do the fallowing:
If Google Chrome Frame is not installed, you can direct your users to an installation page.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

TheKiller wrote:
naderman wrote: Use Chrome frame?

1+
But maybe you should do the fallowing:
If Google Chrome Frame is not installed, you can direct your users to an installation page.
nuff said! +5 for this, then.
If we can get symbols and other stuff made purely on HTML+CSS I believe we could get faster to load and render pages and lighter pages without the images and just some figures that almost take no space.