[RFC|Merged] Delete "Confirm e-mail address"

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
imkingdavid

Re: [RFC] Delete "Confirm e-mail address" from registration

Post by imkingdavid »

Status? Personally I'm for removing the field, although I won't care too much if it is kept.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

We need a patch I guess.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I didn't see a ticket (maybe I missed it) so I created a new one:
http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-10535

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

-1 for me.

XTF

Post by XTF »

*Daniel wrote:-1 for me.
Why?

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

XTF wrote:
Why?
Because I remenber a time when I wanted to sign up on a forum and because I couldn't wait to start posting I made an error when typing my email address. Now I was lucky that the software had confirm email address and told me to check what I've typed in.

XTF

Post by XTF »

Right. Entering a value twice doesn't guarantee it's right though.
That said, maybe effort should be focused on viewtopic.php?f=108&t=39351 instead.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

*Daniel wrote:
XTF wrote:
Why?
Because I remenber a time when I wanted to sign up on a forum and because I couldn't wait to start posting I made an error when typing my email address. Now I was lucky that the software had confirm email address and told me to check what I've typed in.
If you enter an incorrect email address you should be able to login with your username and password and change it. If we don't allow this please start a new topic/issue and I believe there is already a relevant topic here on automatically logging users in after registration.

It's the same case as if you entered an email address that is broken (or that the board cannot deliver mail to for whatever reason) two times. You should be able to log in and change it.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Email activation is typically required, so you cannot login until you have clicked a link in the email you never received. Even the auto-login proposal suggests that registration data changes like email changes should only be allowed once the account has been properly activated, so it wouldn't solve that problem. Regardless of all that I do think we should get rid of the duplicate field.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

naderman wrote:Email activation is typically required, so you cannot login until you have clicked a link in the email you never received. Even the auto-login proposal suggests that registration data changes like email changes should only be allowed once the account has been properly activated, so it wouldn't solve that problem. Regardless of all that I do think we should get rid of the duplicate field.
The pull request is ready and has deleted the field from both the registration form and the profile registration details form. Anything beyond that (e.g. allowing email changes before activation, etc.) would go in another RFC, I think?

Personally, I think there isn't much harm in providing a way to allow an unactivated user to change their entered email address (perhaps a new page could be created to handle that?), but as I said, that is beyond the scope of this RFC.