[RFC|Merged] Attachments management

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: [RFC|Merged] Attachments management

Post by DavidIQ »

Movie wrote:And this means I am sorry but I know the definition of "merged" I just do not understand how it applies to my question.

Thanks.
Answers precisely this:
Movie wrote:When you get this where you need some testing I would like to try this on my development server with 50,000+ files in the "files" folder.

Thanks.
In other words I don't think we need much testing of this feature now, four years after it was merged. ;) It's been in any 3.1 Alpha, Beta, or RC versions since then.

Movie

Post by Movie »

rxu wrote:
Movie wrote:2000 pages, I would like to view this.
Feel free to try that. But, do you have any suggestions about improving the feature, or just saying?
Where do I go to try this I really want to see how it actually reacts to large amounts of files.

Not really just saying I have a genuine concern, my reason for concern is back in 2003 I installed phpbb the first mod was the attachment mod, a year later I had 5000 attachments and expressed my concerns for keeping attachments all in one folder, now it has grown to over 50k files in the "files" folder EVERYTHING I try to do with the "files" folder is nearly impossible, backups, moving, copying, viewing ALL software seems to have limits the limits seems to get really serious once you get over 9998 files in a single folder. It takes me days to simply get a backup of the "files" folder from my host (hostgator) if I do one of their standard backups after downloading and unzipping the 9 gig file I discover it only saved 9998 files in the directory, I have to create another ticket and type out a long letter to them describing the problem and asking them to verify the correct amount of files are actually in the "files" directory before they offer the backup for downloading.

The previous host I was using had a server side hacking and when he restored his server discovered that his backups had limits and was not keeping all the attachments in the backups lucky for me he had changed the server side settings so I could see ALL the files in the "files" directory and I was keeping weekly off site backups of the "files" directory we only lost about 200 pictures. Hostgator WILL NOT make this adjustment for me so I can backup the files weekly if the attachments feature created a new subfolder when the files reached say 9990 files in a directory then yes I could keep weekly backups of the changed files using FTP since FTP can see up to 9998 files in a directory. I have read where some host has limits as low as 4000 files in a directory.

This problem has pretty much been ignored by the phpbb team fact is attachments has been the red headed step child of phpbb since day one every step of the way I have met resistance to attachments en general in phpbb by the phpbb team members, in the early days I took the advice forced on me and directed my users to upload their files to some place else then link to them in their post now we have hundreds of post with no pictures because they never maintained the accounts where the pictures were, when requested they fix their post and restore the pics it never happens because enough time has elapsed "lost them in a computer crash" or "they are on my old computer I donated to the church" bottom line is useful tools our community once had is now gone, all the documentation is lost. .

Trust me I am not "just saying" I am taking this very serious and I want to try it for myself .

Sorry to be so long winded I kept it short and just covered a few of the highlights.

Thanks for letting me bend your ear.

leschek

Post by leschek »

There is topic "[RFC] Attachments in subfolders" in [3.x][Archive] RFCs forum about the same issue with all attachments in one folder.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Movie wrote:This problem has pretty much been ignored by the phpbb team fact is attachments has been the red headed step child of phpbb since day one every step of the way I have met resistance to attachments en general in phpbb by the phpbb team members,
You're exaggerating. Attachments has certainly NOT been "the red headed step child of phpBB", unless by that you mean that the Support Team suggested using some other upload facility because there was nothing they could do to help your situation, which was the only correct direction available at the time.

First of all there was no attachments feature in 2.0. You could only get this feature by installing the MOD, which worked as well as it could at the time. Then attachments were added to the 3.0 core, which was the very next major version of phpBB. Now in 3.1, the next major version of phpBB after that, it has been revamped and improved and multiple attachment posting is possible, along with other improvements. The problem of an over abundance of files being present in the files directory was brought up long after 3.1 was feature frozen so if it was a critical issue it was certainly not brought up to the Development Team in time.

Movie

Post by Movie »

DavidIQ wrote:
Movie wrote:This problem has pretty much been ignored by the phpbb team fact is attachments has been the red headed step child of phpbb since day one every step of the way I have met resistance to attachments en general in phpbb by the phpbb team members,
You're exaggerating. Attachments has certainly NOT been "the red headed step child of phpBB", unless by that you mean that the Support Team suggested using some other upload facility because there was nothing they could do to help your situation, which was the only correct direction available at the time.

First of all there was no attachments feature in 2.0. You could only get this feature by installing the MOD, which worked as well as it could at the time. Then attachments were added to the 3.0 core, which was the very next major version of phpBB. Now in 3.1, the next major version of phpBB after that, it has been revamped and improved and multiple attachment posting is possible, along with other improvements. The problem of an over abundance of files being present in the files directory was brought up long after 3.1 was feature frozen so if it was a critical issue it was certainly not brought up to the Development Team in time.

Please go back and read what I typed again I know the history of the attachment mod I lived it "Not really just saying I have a genuine concern, my reason for concern is back in 2003 I installed phpbb the first mod was the attachment mod, a year later I had 5000 attachments and expressed my concerns for keeping attachments all in one folder, " .

How many attachments does your personal phpbb site have? Have you ever tried to manage over 50k attachments in a phpbb installation I am NOT You're exaggerating anything BEFORE attachments was a official modification and supported by phpbb it was the redheaded step child of phpbb and that is when their answer was to use offsite attachments came from Support Team.

NONE of the comments in your reply help anything and just reinforces my redheaded stepchild comment that has went with attachments since I first installed phpbb back in 2003.

Its now 2015 attachments has been a official part of phpbb for how long and putting ALL attachments into one folder has still not been addressed. Your concern seems to be elsewhere.

So will it be 2020 before putting attachments into more than one folder will happen please help me understand this delay?

If your personal site had this problem what exactly would you be doing?

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

Where is the bugreport you created in 2007 to report this issue in phpBB3?

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Movie wrote:How many attachments does your personal phpbb site have? Have you ever tried to manage over 50k attachments in a phpbb installation I am NOT You're exaggerating anything BEFORE attachments was a official modification and supported by phpbb it was the redheaded step child of phpbb and that is when their answer was to use offsite attachments came from Support Team.
You're exaggerating as to your assessment of phpBB not caring about attachments and that we've not cared about this issue you've had since 2003 that you never created a bug report about (this one from 2011 looks to be the only ticket in existence about this and was created by someone else a bit too late for 3.1 as it came after the feature freeze). Also there have never ever been any official phpBB MODs, attachments or otherwise, not under my watch nor under any other MOD Team Leader. We've only done so with extensions within the past year. And, for the record, I'm well aware of the problem, much more than you think. ;)

Movie

Post by Movie »

DavidIQ wrote:
Movie wrote:How many attachments does your personal phpbb site have? Have you ever tried to manage over 50k attachments in a phpbb installation I am NOT You're exaggerating anything BEFORE attachments was a official modification and supported by phpbb it was the redheaded step child of phpbb and that is when their answer was to use offsite attachments came from Support Team.
You're exaggerating as to your assessment of phpBB not caring about attachments and that we've not cared about this issue you've had since 2003 that you never created a bug report about (this one from 2011 looks to be the only ticket in existence about this and was created by someone else a bit too late for 3.1 as it came after the feature freeze). Also there have never ever been any official phpBB MODs, attachments or otherwise, not under my watch nor under any other MOD Team Leader. We've only done so with extensions within the past year. And, for the record, I'm well aware of the problem, much more than you think. ;)
I am not exaggerating you proved it in your last reply it has been a known problem that storing all attachments in a single folder is a bad idea since at least 2003 and has been done to correct the problem ? how is basically doing nothing but talking about it and not correcting the problem for all this time an exaggeration I could understand if only a month or so had passed since the problem was discovered. It still baffles me that when the attachments was integrated into phpbb that no thoughts was given about attachments in a single folder.

I guess phpbb being hosted on a dream server and being run by the industry experts you could have a millions of attachments in one folder and it would not be a problem then you could complain about someone exaggerating simply because they don't have the same resources and man power to manage their attachments.

How long do you want to go back and forth debating this and ignoring the problem do I need to take on a world wide crusade and flood the phpbb site with post trying to get enough support to make this happen?

What I cant understand is why I or anybody else need to do anything how much more needs to be said about attachments all in one folder, WHY cant the phpbb team just DO IT this whole conversation make absolutely no sense, it throws commonsense right out the window I was baffled by the content of your first reply, I actually expected a reply "Were very aware of the problem more than one attempt to solve this problem has been made, a attachments in subfolder Extension on the list of things to do please visit this page (link to page) to view and watch its progress, if you have any coding skills and want to help out please do"

Why is every problem a user presents ALWAYS spun around to be the users fault and the phpbb team always being 100% right then fought to the death and made the priority over addressing the problems reported HOW COME none of the phpbb team can only tell users to do things like "create a ticket" and cant simply create a ticket themselves since they know the system better than ANY user could ever learn the system. phpbb has created quite a culture for themselves blame game appears to be real priority.

Thanks for taking the time to defend the phpbb team and squash another extremely frustrated user I bet you could have created another ticket or updated the progress on a current ticket related to the same problem in the time it took you to write your first reply to me.

I can only hope another phpbb college graduate who knows the system will push this until the built in design flaw is corrected.

Thanks for reading.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Movie wrote:...
I'm locking this now because:
  1. You've provided nothing useful to this actual RFC that has been merged already.
  2. You're talking about something that this RFC wasn't really about
  3. You decided to misrepresent what I've said.
  4. There is nothing more to be said about this RFC anyways. If there are specific issues to be dealt with then tickets are needed for those problems.
To clarify the third point, before locking this, you keep saying we've ignored this problem but fail to realize that doing anything about it actually required other things to be in place that really weren't. Also you didn't create a bug ticket yet you insist it was something critical for you. Well guess what...no ticket no fixing. That's how it works here and in pretty much any other structured project out there, you like it or not. Really if you had the opportunity to report this and have it fixed there's nobody you could realistically blame for not having done that but yourself. Shifting the focus on us does not change this. ;)