phpBB 3.3.4-RC1 released

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
P_I
Community Team
Community Team

Re: phpBB 3.3.4-RC1 released

Post by P_I »

3Di wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:04 am What about those few phpBB debug messages? Did you find them in your error logs or on the main screen after installation?
On the screen during the installation process, in yellowish banner. At the time I didn't check if there was anything further in the server logs. I've checked now and didn't find anything in the server error_log.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

P_I wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:10 am
3Di wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:04 am What about those few phpBB debug messages? Did you find them in your error logs or on the main screen after installation?
On the screen during the installation process, in yellowish banner. At the time I didn't check if there was anything further in the server logs. I've checked now and didn't find anything in the server error_log.
Yeah that's normal because the installer has a custom error handler. Thanks, I will chime on this soon.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

P_I
Community Team
Community Team

Post by P_I »

I've been attempting to understand the underlying code and I'm nowhere near an expert in PHP syntax. So can someone help me understand something. There are a number of places in the code that use the syntax

Code: Select all

@define(string $name , mixed $value);
Examples are in https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/mas ... stants.php.

In the specific case of CONFIG_TABLE, take a look at https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blame/e1 ... s.php#L241 which seems to track back to PHPBB3-14349.

I cannot find any mention of the use of the @define in https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.define.php. Is there a reference that I'm missing? I also checked the MediaWiki and WordPress code (I use both) and cannot find any use of @define in their coding.

Or could this be something showing up as mentioned in https://www.php.net/manual/en/migration ... atible.php
PHP Backward Incompatible Changes wrote:A number of notices have been converted into warnings:

Attempting to read an undefined variable.
Attempting to read an undefined property.
Attempting to read an undefined array key.
Attempting to read a property of a non-object.
Attempting to access an array index of a non-array.
Attempting to convert an array to string.
Attempting to use a resource as an array key.
Attempting to use null, a boolean, or a float as a string offset.
Attempting to read an out-of-bounds string offset.
Attempting to assign an empty string to a string offset.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

That's PHP 101: the @ operator silences potential errors, but in PHP 8 NOT fatal errors.
It`s part of error handling, better not to use it, instead face the potential issues.

FWIW, that's not really a question for this topic though. ;)
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

P_I
Community Team
Community Team

Post by P_I »

Thank you for the pointer. Carry on and let me know if there is any further testing I can help with.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Thank you for your contribution, much appreciated. :) Really.
I will conduct some more tests here prior to request the PR's review, just I need one more day.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

P_I wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:38 pm ...
In the specific case of CONFIG_TABLE, take a look at https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blame/e1 ... s.php#L241 which seems to track back to PHPBB3-14349.
Suppress output due to duplicate definition in installer
That's what I pointed out just some posts above, in fact. :)

P_I
Community Team
Community Team

Post by P_I »

Again please forgive this self-described PHP non-expert, but isn't includes/constants.php the proper place to define the constant. If somewhere else is triggering a duplicate definition, shouldn't the fix be made in locally?

It seems very backward to me to handle a possible duplicate definition by coding the check in includes/constants.php.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

P_I wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:42 pm Again please forgive this self-described PHP non-expert, but isn't includes/constants.php the proper place to define the constant. If somewhere else is triggering a duplicate definition, shouldn't the fix be made in locally?

It seems very backward to me to handle a possible duplicate definition by coding the check in includes/constants.php.
In the future that file should became deprecated, ATM we have to live with it.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

3Di wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:06 pm the @ operator silences potential errors, but in PHP 8 NOT fatal errors.
https://www.php.net/manual/en/language. ... ontrol.php
Warning

Prior to PHP 8.0.0, the value of the severity passed to the custom error handler was always 0 if the diagnostic was suppressed. This is no longer the case as of PHP 8.0.0.