Contributing: You can do it too!

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
mrgoldy
Former Team Member

Re: Contributing: You can do it too!

Post by mrgoldy »

Thanks for the feedback, Fanchen.
The possible commands are not really listed in any particular order, but I suppose I should mention that it is a good thing to run the setup command first, before other. Especially as it really only is a command that has to be run once.

Once again, thank you. And I hope you're enjoying working with it.
phpBB Studio Proud member of the Studio!

TWEagle

Post by TWEagle »

hey mrgoldy

when I try to install it via the info you said here
install
Command: sh studio install
Parameters: none
Example: sh studio install
Explanation:
This will take care of the 'database setup' of your local board.
It ensures all the correct tables are installed, with the correct columns and default values.
For this command the $phpbb_functional_url is required in the test_config.php file.
This ensures that we can re-install the board, overriding an existing installation.
To accomplish this, the studio script makes use of the functional tests provided by phpBB,
which do not have to be of further concern to you for the sake of using the studio script.
The credentials for the admin account on the local board are:
username: admin
password: adminadmin
then it says

Code: Select all

PHP Fatal error:  Composer dependencies have not been set up yet, run 'php ../composer.phar install' from the phpBB directory to do so. in D:\Ampps\www\phpbbfork\phpBB\includes\startup.php on line 80

Fatal error: Composer dependencies have not been set up yet, run 'php ../composer.phar install' from the phpBB directory to do so. in D:\Ampps\www\phpbbfork\phpBB\includes\startup.php on line 80
Is this normal?

Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Translations & International Support Teams Manager

Post by Crizzo »

Yes, you need to install the dependecies before you can use phpBB from that github-repository. Just run the displayed command: php ../composer.phar install

mrgoldy
Former Team Member

Post by mrgoldy »

Crizzo wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:19 pm Yes, you need to install the dependecies before you can use phpBB from that github-repository. Just run the displayed command: php ../composer.phar install
It's the entire point of this script to make it easier, so that should not be necessary.

@TWEagle,
Have a look at the command above it: switch.

"Each branch has its own code, database setup and dependencies (the vendor folder).
This command takes care of the code and dependencies, for the database setup you will have to use the install command."

So you'll first have to run sh studio switch <branch>.
This command will afterwards automatically ask if you want to 'Install the board'.
phpBB Studio Proud member of the Studio!

3Di

Re: Contributing

Post by 3Di »

hanakin wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:35 pm recommend abandoning tortoise git for something more user friendly. even the GitHub app is better IMHO or look at gitkraken. both of which are free
It depends on the point of view and on how you mean "user friendly", I for example started many years ago (I guess before you ever used SVN or phpBB) with SVN and I found really "user friendly" the same Tortoise-SVN, used to that I went on with my pursuit and updated myself to Tortoise-GIT very easily. I passed on my knowledge about this to mrgoldy, in this case with private tutorials, well received. We are happy with this and we are not complaining, in fact we can do practically anything that can be requested with extreme ease. I don't find that your suggestion was expressed in the right way so, probably you could have said that you are better off with this or that system, that's fine. Anyway the tutorial has been explained with the systems we usually use, nothing easier you can take note of and use them with your own systems, just know what we are talking about.
So I recommend each of us to use our own system, as nothing changes about GIT and we can't give detailed suggestions regarding each app, anyone who feels able to provide them is welcome to post the details here. Thank you. :D

Oh, even Tortoise-GIT is FREE. ;)
hanakin wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:13 pm ... I am sorry for you that you have been stuck using tortise :lol:
Don't know what a "tortise" is but as I said,
it depends on the points of view and knowledge related to each app, I don't find anything comical about that, as you do. :ugeek: ;)

@moderators: may I suggest to move this discussion to https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=99 ? (general development)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

3Di

Post by 3Di »

mrgoldy wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:33 pm ...
If you can not create or place the file without a file extension, give it the .sh (shell) extension.
You can either copy the file from the GitHub Gist I've created.
Just a side note, since mrgoldy changed his name on github our GIST is now available here:
https://gist.github.com/3D-I/fd14dbc167 ... c774d85658
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Henri

Post by Henri »

As a very occasional contributor to phpBB, this looks very helpful and needed.