Contributing: You can do it too!

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
david63

Re: Contributing: You can do it too!

Post by david63 »

DavidIQ wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:32 pm Personally SmartGit has served me well for several years now when working with Github. Easy to use and understand.
+1
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

P_I
Community Team
Community Team

Post by P_I »

<off-topic>There is something on the first page of this topic that is causing very long delays (close to a minute) waiting on camo.phpbb.com. </off-topic>

mrgoldy
Former Team Member

Post by mrgoldy »

P_I wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:56 pm <off-topic>There is something on the first page of this topic that is causing very long delays (close to a minute) waiting on camo.phpbb.com. </off-topic>
Yeah that's Hanakin signature image.

Have people already tried the setup and the script?
phpBB Studio Proud member of the Studio!

Random American

Post by Random American »

I think it would be a good idea to make this a global announcement. Btw, nice work mrgoldy.
Stand with Ukraine!

Fanchen

Post by Fanchen »

mrgoldy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:11 pm Have people already tried the setup and the script?
I'm trying it right now. First of all: Thank you for this, I've thought about a local version for a while to try out some stuff, but this actually made me do it.

Some comments:
I'm not new to programming (though my "real world" experience is debatable), but I've never really used PHP before. Most of the "Requirements" weren't hard to fulfill, but I'm still wondering if the "Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server" link could be updated. Images are broken on that website and the textual description of the phpMyAdmin menus are not entirely correct anymore.
I'm also wondering if "utf8_bin" is the correct collation to use - don't emojis need utf8mb4? (I simply chose that and will change it later if there are problems.) None of these are really related to your guide, though.

I hit a problem with sh studio update: When I cloned the repo, my core.autocrlf was still true. When sh studio update threw an error because all my line endings were set to crlf, my files were modified: "error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by checkout"
I fixed that with git reset --hard. I can imagine that others would have this problem as well.

On the next step, php is used for the first time: "studio: line 469: php: command not found"
I guess I'll have to set my environment variables correctly for that, but I don't think that problem is mentioned in your guide or the provided links.
I'll stop here for now, might continue trying this tomorrow.

Oh, one more thing: In the "Clone the repository" part, it's not really mentioned that you need to be in the htdocs directory (but visible on the screenshot). Also, when I created a phpbbfork directory as you recommended, I didn't end up with a path like C:\xampp\htdocs\phpbbfork\tests\test_config.php like you did, but instead C:\xampp\htdocs\phpbbfork\phpbb\tests\test_config.php. I'm not sure if I missed a step, but git seems to behave different for me there?

Edit: Added php to my Environment Variables/Path and was able to continue. Switching the branch and installing the board works, though I don't know the password for the admin account. A quick peek at the studio script didn't help me either, so I don't know how to login and actually test stuff on the forum.
Last edited by Fanchen on Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

mrgoldy
Former Team Member

Post by mrgoldy »

Hello and thank you (a lot) for your response!

The line endings is indeed a thing that has to be addressed. A common issue on Windows.
This is part of the script, and dealt with if you run sh studio setup.
But I'll mention the issue indeed.

php is indeed a 'silent' requirement aswell, I suppose. It has to be installed.

And okay, yeah. Did you use GitTortoise or the git clone command?
I believe you created the directory and from within the directory ran the git clone command.
I suppose I'll have to update that wiht git clone https://github.com/mrgoldy/phpbb.git . (note the additional dot).
Thanks for letting me know.

And the password for the admin account is adminadmin. And the username is just admin.
phpBB Studio Proud member of the Studio!

Fanchen

Post by Fanchen »

I used git clone, I skipped the graphical git interface part.

And I see now that the password is part of the standard phpbb install, not this script. Good to know.

I'll play around with this a bit in the next couple of days and report any issues I can find.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

The line endings are a thing you have to set it with your GIT

git config --global core.autocrlf input - for GIT

See: https://area51.phpbb.com/docs/dev/3.3.x ... ml#windows

About PHP it is an environment variable you have to set as well if not already done.
I am using Wamp64 (so I've got a WWW instead of HTDOCS folder) and that's something being taken into account during the installation.
You can modify it later on, the web contains a plethora of tutorials about that but feel free to ask in case.

The standard is php but in some environments it could be php7.4.2-cli for example, in this case you'll need to create an alias.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Fanchen

Post by Fanchen »

I fixed both of those problems already, sorry if that wasn't clear. My point was that the instructions don't include them, but both will likely be an issue for people who do this for the first time. Especially the line ending problem imo, as that will (to my understanding) always occur if the order of the given instructions is followed.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Let's say that the use of the software and its settings for each operating system is certainly not the purpose of this script/topic. Basic issues in the script can be covered, indeed. :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades