Ajaxified extension actions

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
mrgoldy
Former Team Member

Ajaxified extension actions

Post by mrgoldy »

Now that extensions' actions (enable / disable / delete data) are ajaxified, there seem to be an increased amount in support tickets, reporting very generic errors. And currently it is rather hard to assist these users, as we first have to explain them how to debug ajax requests, with either looking at the response tab (which is incredibly hard to read) or disable javascript temporary in their browser. Both are done through the Developer tools in their browser, which shouldn't really be a place for them to be in to begin with.

Those generic errors are just the way ajax requests are set up. And almost never actually needed, as usually ajax requests are done for rather small adjustments on the backend, which shouldn't go wrong. Especially cause they are all part of the core code, which we have control over. However, this is not really the case for extensions. People will install (unapproved) extensions, that might not be correct. Or extensions that do rather large (database/filesystem/etc..) changes through migrations, where the potential that something goes wrong is rather large.

Anyway, that's that and not what I want to discuss here.

I think it might aid the support, if we add a button in the upper right corner of the customise tab, that lists the extensions.
"Temporary disable AJAX", or something of the likes. Which is just a link to the same module, with an extra GET parameter ajax=off.
If that is set, we do not add the data-ajax attributes to the actions, which will make them regular again, as they were in the past.
That way, proper (read: full) exceptions are thrown, which can be easily copied when necessary, if they do not already provide a clear answer to begin with.

Let me know your thoughts,
phpBB Studio Proud member of the Studio!

david63

Re: Ajaxified extension actions

Post by david63 »

Sounds a good idea to me
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

3Di

Post by 3Di »

I was the one who noticed the issue time ago (26/Dec/19), see:
https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3 ... ment-62798

Hence IMHO it is and remains a blocker.
The idea of having a button to disable Ajax is welcome but I'd prefer to remove Ajax at all from there, there is no reason for it.

Changed now the issue's title BTW.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

samlarson

Post by samlarson »

I think it might aid the support, if we add a button in the upper right corner of the customise tab, that lists the extensions.
"Temporary disable AJAX", or something of the likes. Which is just a link to the same module, with an extra GET parameter ajax=off.
If that is set, we do not add the data-ajax attributes to the actions, which will make them regular again, as they were in the past.
That way, proper (read: full) exceptions are thrown, which can be easily copied when necessary, if they do not already provide a clear answer to begin with.

Let me know your thoughts,
i believe it could be a good idea to add an option to disable/enable any extension possible for more precise filtering and configuration

david63

Post by david63 »

samlarson wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:38 am i believe it could be a good idea to add an option to disable/enable any extension possible for more precise filtering and configuration
Don't know what that means. Each extension can be enabled/disabled individually now - in fact that is the way it works.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

3Di

Post by 3Di »

The problem has been solved by eliminating Ajax from the actions for extensions, basically turning back the clock.

The idea of the button was not bad, in fact we use it for some of our extensions.
david63 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:43 pm Don't know what that means.
I think he/she's talking about something which allows the admin to disable etc the extensions at will, which is not feasDOable IMHO.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades