On password protected forums...

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Elsensee
Former Team Member

On password protected forums...

Post by Elsensee »

On my quest to (apparently) slim phpBB so it's much easier to maintain (for developers) and handle (for administrators) (as seen here in the ACP UX Improvements topic), I came across password protected forums.

Just as for the ACP UX Improvements I don't want to do anything to any features in a minor version. Don't panic.
I'm basically just thinking about hanakin's topic on phpBB.com about the new style titled Chameleon:
hanakin wrote:We are reimagining what a forum is at the individual component level.
To me, a password protected forum (PPF) is a component as well; a component that is not modern anymore. It's a relict from old versions of phpBB. If you want to properly protect a forum, use permissions. Passwords for PPF's can just be handed to somebody else, thus you should consider it unprotected, thus you don't need a password. Easy as that.

That's why I'm voting for removing this feature in one of the next major versions. PPF's would be converted to normal forums that only founders can access on upgrade.

What do you think?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: On password protected forums...

Post by DavidIQ »

+1
Can be relegated to an extension if anything.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

I can imagine there are users who use this. I have heard of boards that are kind of a game which you solve by reading hints in the topics which reveal passwords to new forums where you can find more hints. But yeah, definitely an extension (maybe official one since we don't want to discontinue a feature without providing a proper fallback?).

Ger

Post by Ger »

By all means, ditch it. I can't remember any board using it in the past decade, except Area51 of course.

-edit-
Just peeked in that yogurt forum, it's full of topics from 2003 where people are voting for removing that feature. Might be time to just do it.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Solidjeuh

Post by Solidjeuh »

I'm maintaining a few forums, and non of them are using PPF.
I also agree that it should be done with permissions.
So yeah, remove it. We wont miss it.

JimA
Former Team Member

Post by JimA »

Such a niche feature, I'm definitely for ditching it as well in favour of simplicity.
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Moderator Team Member
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

No support here on Area51, please visit the Support forums over at phpBB.com

v12mike

Post by v12mike »

One interesting question, after upgrade to a version of phpBB not supporting passworded forums, what will happen to existing passworded forums?

david63

Post by david63 »

v12mike wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:58 pm One interesting question, after upgrade to a version of phpBB not supporting passworded forums, what will happen to existing passworded forums?
Elsensee wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:59 pm PPF's would be converted to normal forums that only founders can access on upgrade.
I would also add that if there are any PPF's then the future would be to use permissions/groups and that could all be in place at any time (i.e. now) and just removing the passwords would not make any difference.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

Random American

Post by Random American »

Question: What's the verdict on this? Will this feature be removed?

I agree with the others on how pointless this feature is.