Subfolder system for attachments

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Subfolder system for attachments

Post by DavidIQ »

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

It is solved if you use a cloud provider yes. But it also makes it easy to solve for the local storage: we can handle it completely in the local adapter. (Maybe with a fallback check for BC reasons)
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

rubencm
Development Team
Development Team

Post by rubencm »

Nicofuma wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:52 am It is solved if you use a cloud provider yes. But it also makes it easy to solve for the local storage: we can handle it completely in the local adapter. (Maybe with a fallback check for BC reasons)
Yes, it can be done.
About backwards compatibility, i think it may not be necessary, i have an idea.

rubencm
Development Team
Development Team

Post by rubencm »

I have submitted a pr for this https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/4968

BadBlock2

Post by BadBlock2 »

rubencm wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:38 pm I have submitted a pr for this https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/4968
Interesting, I hope you tested it.
By the way, what if the board gets upgraded from a previous version? Will the existing attachments (all in one folder) still work?

rubencm
Development Team
Development Team

Post by rubencm »

BadBlock2 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:40 am Interesting, I hope you tested it.
Not much really
BadBlock2 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:40 am By the way, what if the board gets upgraded from a previous version? Will the existing attachments (all in one folder) still work?
The number of subfolders used is configurable, and by default is 0 (no subfolders)

BadBlock2

Post by BadBlock2 »

rubencm wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:05 am
BadBlock2 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:40 am By the way, what if the board gets upgraded from a previous version? Will the existing attachments (all in one folder) still work?
The number of subfolders used is configurable, and by default is 0 (no subfolders)
So, no transition from 0 to 2 subfolders and thus no use for the existing forums?

rubencm
Development Team
Development Team

Post by rubencm »

BadBlock2 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:39 am
rubencm wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:05 am
So, no transition from 0 to 2 subfolders and thus no use for the existing forums?
If you change the configuration (you change the number or subdirectories or the mail directory, or even the storage system), all files will be moved from one configuration to another (but sill isnt done)

Daniela longo

Post by Daniela longo »

I was wondering if this very important features is implemented or not.
According to the tracker of open tickets https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-15371 it will be present in version 4.0.0 even if in this topics https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... 6&start=15 it is reported that is included in the core of 3.3....
So I have another question: in which release we will find this feature and when will be available this relaese?
Is there any other way to solve the issue without waiting for years and without introducing personal patches?

We have about 400K attachments in our forum and this reduced number has been obtained by single deletions of uploaded files; about half of the uploaded files have been deleted, the remaining are important documents for biodiversity in Italy and we would like to preserve them.
Even if our provider is kindly providing any kind of help for the management of the monstre "files" folder, allowing for unlimited file number in FTP download and reserving a quad core processor esclusively for the execution of our pages with more than enough RAM and disk memory, we are starting to have problems mainly related to the number of files in a single folder.

Thank you for any helping answer.
Daniela
Last edited by Daniela longo on Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

3.3 was released on January 6, 2020.