Adding foe reason?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Dragosvr92

Adding foe reason?

Post by Dragosvr92 »

We usually forget why we added people as foes, so i was wondering if maybe it would be an idea to add a description/notes field asking, Why do you consider this person as a foe?

I use the Foe system only on phpbb.ro for people that get rude and cant appreciate your help and act like they demand your help.
I use it as a system for declining to help them.
Previous user: TheKiller

3Di

Re: Adding foe reason?

Post by 3Di »

The idea, AFAIK, it is to get rid from the core code of such thinghs like zebra, birthdays and so on.
Maybe to release them as official extensions though.
No need then to spend more time and efforts on this.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

Not really. The idea is indeed to move those things to extensions enabled by default but not in a near future. And in the meantime there is no reason for not improving those features
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Dragosvr92 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:47 am We usually forget why we added people as foes, so i was wondering if maybe it would be an idea to add a description/notes field asking, Why do you consider this person as a foe?
Ok, I am considering it a good idea if you can tell us where this field should be placed and where the results of it.
Nicofuma wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:39 am Not really. The idea is indeed to move those things to extensions enabled by default but not in a near future. And in the meantime there is no reason for not improving those features
Improving is a thing, I am seeing this as as new feature like: Topic Description (rejected), doable with an extension. phpBB 3.2 is features frozen.

Shall we consider (on a side note) to improve the birthdays list in order not to be shown in case there are no birthdays? Instead of telling us: "There are no birthdays today".

As you can see everything in debatable. :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Sure,

First we would need to move the "Are you sure you wish to carry out this operation?" from a pop-up notification, back to a single-page notification, like it was in 3.0. Change the quoted message above into something like "Why do you consider this person a foe?" and add a input or textarea bellow it. Its clear that we do want to carry the operation and even give a reason why.

The foe description should be placed in the Friends & Foes tab in the UCP.
But the Manage Foes page will have to be redesigned, as it just has a selection dropdown list of the Foe usernames.

It should be transformed into what the Usergroups=>Manage groups=>Manage users page looks like. But rename the Make group default for member field into Foe reason, and remove the Posts and Joined sections to provide more place for the description as they arent needed for this.

Now, i do not know if all this is worth the job. People rarely add foes. But if they do, with time they forget why they did it and they sometimes get amused on the stupid reasons they got mad with each-other. They need at least an impulse about it to remember. Facebook doesnt give you the option to add a note on why you bock someone though.

As the Friend/Foe system will be moved as an extension and we wont add this, Foe Note, i suggest we at least add a general checkbox for Dont display topics started by foes in viewforum.
Previous user: TheKiller