nofollow by default on some links / canonical tag

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
val4o0o0

nofollow by default on some links / canonical tag

Post by val4o0o0 »

Hello there.

In Vbulletin boards by default some links have rel="nofollow".

For example:
faq.php
register.php
login.php
search.php

These pages are the same in all forums and are reported as double content to Google.

And.. for the canonical tag...
Please, add canonical tag by default for index.php page, for example we have:
phpbb.com
phpbb.com/index.php
The canonical tag need to be:
<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.phpbb.com/">
or
<link rel="canonical" href="{BOARD_URL}">

Un1matr1x

Re: nofollow by default on some links / canonical tag

Post by Un1matr1x »

val4o0o0 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:23 pm Hello there.
In Vbulletin boards by default some links have rel="nofollow".

For example:
faq.php
register.php
login.php
search.php

These pages are the same in all forums and are reported as double content to Google.
Yes, this might be possible, but if it's urgend for you, you should think about an extension for that
val4o0o0 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:23 pm And.. for the canonical tag...
Please, add canonical tag by default for index.php page, for example we have:
phpbb.com
phpbb.com/index.php
The canonical tag need to be:
<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.phpbb.com/">
or
<link rel="canonical" href="{BOARD_URL}">
And this is not really good.
example.com might also mean f.e. example.com/portal.php if you have an portal installed or any other frontpage so a point from "/index.php" » "/" is false in my opinion

val4o0o0

Post by val4o0o0 »

If second proposal from me is bad, the developers should be think about that:
(this is from google webmastertools account)
I try some rules with htaccess, but is ugly and bad for acp.php (i redirect index.php to root), index.php is needed in acp.php to set sid correctly.
root to index.php is bad idea for SEO.

I have extensions for this and for the first (i'm php developer), but more extensions = too slow forum.
My forum is on nginx and have 4.7-4.8 sec response rate with default prosilver with some small modifications and 30~ extensions enabled.
I don't want so much extensions...

I'm so excited about 3.2.x, because php 7 support :) I need everything to be perfect for me and my users...
I think this two requests from me in first post is need to be implement in the next version.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

4.6-4.8 response rate? For the php side only or including the network? Because if it is php only it is really bad and you have a serious issue. 30 exts shouldn't slow the board that much (unless they are doing extensive tasks on each page load)
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

val4o0o0

Post by val4o0o0 »

I have much css (from extensions) + font awesome (minified). 4-5/sometimes 8-9 sec is time for people outside Bulgaria. For me board is loading after 1.2/1.3sec.
I'm from Bulgaria and my board load fast for me.
My goal is optimization.
4.6-4.8 sec is time for all resources (js/css/html/php) until users see the page.
My hosting is not bad, we have so good hosting with 3 hop's firewall included. I think this css resources and biggest extensions slow's the board.
I'm using phpbb 3.1.8 for now.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Extensions are cached so unless they're ALL doing database queries in page_header then the slowness is not related to them. And if it's affecting only people outside your country then obviously it can't be extensions causing it, unless one of them is designed to purposely slow things down for people outside of your country or if you have an extension that is calling back home for every single request.

val4o0o0

Post by val4o0o0 »

That is funny :) The problem is in extensions, the biggest problem is canidev chat system. (which have flash files)
Big extensions, much extensions = slow forum. I do not think it can dissuade me someone...
Yeah, this is my choice i can stop everything and my forum can be fast again, but this is useful functions which holds my users in forum.

Now, PHP 7 can be factor and response time will be reduced.

I have extensions, which can be disabled, because this functions can be by default in phpbb3.

I have used recaptcha 2.0 (ext) - i think in 3.2.x is integrated by default.
I used and others extensions (for meta tags in index.php only, for other small things like this in first post) - which can be integrated by default.
This i mean...

I used so much compressions methods like gzip, deflate and mod_expire. Everything is correct. My images is optimized by online tools for png/gif optimization.
CSS/JS (everything) is minified, but forum is still load slow for users outside my country. I think the extensions is the problem.

But not talking about it, that's my concern. Here we talk about integration of functions by default in phpbb3 :)

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

Just to end with the side note: I think you are mixing the php time with the full page loading time. Your issue is with the second one and PHP7 will not improve that. And actually unless one of your extension is acting really wrong the PHP time should be pretty good.

About the initial issue... there isn't that much we can do that we aren't already doing. We could add nofollow but only to login/register/search (the faq is configurable, at least using an extension). And about the acp that's not an issue. You don't care about the SEO ranking of your ACP
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

val4o0o0 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:41 pm That is funny :) The problem is in extensions, the biggest problem is canidev chat system. (which have flash files)
Big extensions, much extensions = slow forum. I do not think it can dissuade me someone...
That's fine, nobody is trying to convince you otherwise so you can believe what you've stated. But you're still wrong. ;) I've seen many extensions added to a forum and not doing anything to the performance. If you add many (30) untested, not validated, and possibly dangerous extensions to a forum then that will certainly do a number on your site's performance. And you just even pointed at a chat extension that uses flash and who knows what else. Oh and that chat extension is not a validated extension either. ;)

In any case none of this pertains to adding nofollow to links so we can get back on topic. :ugeek:

val4o0o0

Post by val4o0o0 »

@DavidIQ yeah, canidev is private chat extension. Its big. But really, this extension can slow the forum. But it's from extensions, right ? Without extension forum is fast. This is what I mean. If performance is really needed, I need to make things better. This chat extension is important for me.
I have some modifications by me on this chat and is must have for my forum.
I need to optimize other things that i can to save the chat :)

@Nicofuma, yep :) I'm glad to see nofollow on this links. For other thing... If i use htaccess for index.php to root redirect - acp login is not working...
This what i mean... acp need index.php?sid= but when i use htaccess, this index.php its gone :)
If you can do something for the other would be good :) It's important.

Hey guys, my English is not well, maybe you can see this. Sorry for that :)