phpBB 3.2.0-b2 released

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
3Di

Re: phpBB 3.2.0-b2 released

Post by 3Di »

CHItA wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:00 am
3Di wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:41 pm Confirmed it works, though I noticed something like the installer being slower than before.

I do not and I can't give you some data about that, just an impression. Can you confirm?
Slower than what?
I did install 3.2.0-b2 before of this fix, then I took the modified file from github and saved it into the 3.2.0-b2 download.
I created a new DB and a new folder.
I did the new installation procedure with the fixed file.
I noticed the process was slower than before (than the original package without this fix).

I do not know how to programatically compare the two tests, though.
It was an impression of mine but it was so evident the gap to me that I am reporting it here.

If you know how to compare the two you can give to me an hint and I will be more than glad to learn and report.

Thank you. :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

You can use a stopwatch, but i doubt that there would be any (noticable) time difference.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

A stopwatch? :lol:
Are you telling me there is not a way (programatically speaking) to misure the performancies?

Thanks. :)
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

You may use microtime() in PHP, i think the method is called stopwatch, i could be wrong.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

CHItA wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:39 pm You may use microtime() in PHP, i think the method is called stopwatch, i could be wrong.
Ops, sorry but i truly translated the word "stopwatch", that's why my laugh. ;)

Ok, I will investigate on that.
No probs at all though, I am sure has been just my impression but worth reporting it, IMO.

Have a nice day. :)

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Hi,
could someone please explain me like to a child what does that do in config.php?

Code: Select all

@define('PHPBB_ENVIRONMENT', 'production');
------------------------------------------------------

I am installing (installed) 3.1.8 and 3.2.0-b2 on a live webserver I got.

While installing a fresh 3.2.0-b2 I got stuck at 27%, after 10 minutes (true) I decided to refresh that page and I got a message that tells me phpBB has been already installed.
During that gap of time I noticed also a message saying it was skipping a part of the install procedure (forgot the exact message, though).

Linux/apache/
php 5.6.19
MySQL(i) 5.5.48-cll
rhea-admin-1.png
rhea-php-1.png
Thanks. :)

david63

Post by david63 »

3Di wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:12 pm could someone please explain me like to a child what does that do in config.php?

@define('PHPBB_ENVIRONMENT', 'production');
Not sure if I can explain it simply but one new feature in 3.2 is the ability to have different environments. If you look in the cache folder straight after an install you will see two folders - install & production. The different environments allow phpBB to respond in different ways - for example if you have the default "production" environment set then whenever you change something in say a services file you will have to purge the cache in order for it to take effect, whereas if you have a "development" environment purging the cache is unnecessary.

How you actually create the configs for these different environments is way beyond my "pay grade" - I just copied the development config from github!
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Thanks David, got it. :)

By any chance, have you got the link to this?
I was unable to find what you are talking about here..
david63 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:41 am I just copied the development config from github!

John P

Post by John P »

Today I had to install B2 again and the installer worked without timeouts.
One minor thing, using smtp as mailserver I'm not able to set up a different port at installtime. The field isn't in the form.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

Please create a ticket about the missing field.
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM