phpBB 3.2.0-b2 released

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
juliokr

Re: phpBB 3.2.0-b2 released

Post by juliokr »

Sorry but when I trie to open the copy of my forum 3.1 on localhost running on PHP7 it says
"General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

mysql_connect function does not exist, is mysql extension installed? []"

This extension was deprecated in PHP 5.5.0

PHP 5.5 was released nov 2013

canonknipser

Post by canonknipser »

you can use msqli instead - since PHP 5.2.0?
simply change your config.php

Code: Select all

$dbms = 'phpbb\\db\\driver\\mysqli';
Greetings
Frank
phpbb.de support team member - no support via PM or mail
English is not my native language
Extensions and scripts for phpBB

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

juliokr wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:23 pm Sorry but when I trie to open the copy of my forum 3.1 on localhost running on PHP7 it says
"General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

mysql_connect function does not exist, is mysql extension installed? []"

This extension was deprecated in PHP 5.5.0

PHP 5.5 was released nov 2013
Didn't we already establish that 3.1 does not work with PHP 7? Perhaps you made a mistake in your post since this topic is about 3.2, not 3.1...

juliokr

Post by juliokr »

DavidIQ wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:45 am Didn't we already establish that 3.1 does not work with PHP 7? Perhaps you made a mistake in your post since this topic is about 3.2, not 3.1...
Exactly that's why it is urgent to finish 3.2 !
It's not a good sign for PHPBB to use php functions who still use php extensions in the last stable version who deprecated since 2 years !

Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Marc »

You're describing a non-issue. Simply use MySQLi instead of MySQL and you'll be able to install and use the board. Even 3.1.x should partially work with PHP 7. You will however encounter some issues, especially when it comes to custom BBCodes.

The fact that you're describing a standard setup issue caused by the transition to PHP 7 as a major issue with phpBB is just exaggeration.
phpBB 3.1.x requires PHP 5.3.3+ and therefore also supports the MySQL extension. The same applies to phpBB 3.2.x which has a minimum version of PHP 5.4.0.

Now let's please try to stop arguing about non-issues. Please only discuss phpBB 3.2.0-b2 in this topic.

juliokr

Post by juliokr »

Marc wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:35 am The fact that you're describing a standard setup issue caused by the transition to PHP 7 as a major issue with phpBB is just exaggeration.
phpBB 3.1.x requires PHP 5.3.3+ and therefore also supports the MySQL extension. The same applies to phpBB 3.2.x which has a minimum version of PHP 5.4.0.

Now let's please try to stop arguing about non-issues. Please only discuss phpBB 3.2.0-b2 in this topic.
Please don't misunderstand me I appreciate the work of PHPBB developers team.
But for example my hosting provider OVH doesn't support php 5.3 anymore since march 2015.
So I would love that phpbb would be more oriented to the future than to the past

david63

Post by david63 »

juliokr wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:50 pm my hosting provider OVH doesn't support php 5.3 anymore since march 2015.
That's fair enough - but they must have been/are supporting some later version (5.6?) as PHP7 was only released at the end of last year.
juliokr wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:50 pm So I would love that phpbb would be more oriented to the future than to the past
I am sure the developers would appreciate it if you would tell them what will be in the final PHP8 so that they can make phpBB 3.3 compatible
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

pierredu

Post by pierredu »

juliokr wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:50 pm But for example my hosting provider OVH doesn't support php 5.3 anymore since march 2015.
OVH supports 5.4., 5.5 and 5.6. Just specify the version you want in the .ovhconfig file.

Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Marc »

juliokr wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:50 pm
Marc wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:35 am The fact that you're describing a standard setup issue caused by the transition to PHP 7 as a major issue with phpBB is just exaggeration.

Please don't misunderstand me I appreciate the work of PHPBB developers team.
But for example my hosting provider OVH doesn't support php 5.3 anymore since march 2015.
So I would love that phpbb would be more oriented to the future than to the past
At lot of other hosters are still at rather old PHP versions. Also, please note that supporting the MySQL extension in addition to the MySQLi one does not add any extra overhead both for your board and regarding the development. There is simply no point in intentionally not supporting the MySQL extension in PHP versions prior to 7.0. Hence why this is a non-issue.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

I did install a fresh 3.0.2-b2 on localhost and went smootly and fast, with compliments.

I have one question, I do not know if this topic is the right place where to ask or open a new one.

Could someone please tell me the reason why the 'all' directory now exists into the styles folder?
Purposes, links to docs.. anything is welcome.

Thanks.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades