Change the online status image to plain text/css?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Dragosvr92

Change the online status image to plain text/css?

Post by Dragosvr92 »

I know this has been discussed before, and i did wonder myself why all the language images were converted into plaintext and css, but the online status wasnt... I came across a site that had a Ribbon at 45degrees so i said i'd extract it and propose it over here.

The way it is now, with the online language image, seems hardcodded and messy, with two files inside a directory.
Its also still difficult to redesign an image for each style, when all the other buttons can be easily changed via css.

OnlineStatus Ribbon Sample Code.html
Ribbon example code
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
Previous user: TheKiller

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: Change the online status image to plain text/css?

Post by hanakin »

like the idea but it will have to wait for 3.3. can you make a ticket and pr for it?
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Nice. Wait, what? I have never heard of a 3.3.x branch? Did you mistake it for 3.2?
It would be weird to wait for the 2nd major release. I could make a PR, but i would most probably implement it not so great.
More experienced devs may do it better, on their standards on what phpbb code should be like.

https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14336
Previous user: TheKiller

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Why not do it for 3.2? CSS transform works even for IE9 with an -ms- prefix.

samwisesk8r

Post by samwisesk8r »

Dragosvr92 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:35 am seems hardcodded and messy, with two files inside a directory.
hanakin wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:46 am like the idea but it will have to wait for 3.3. can you make a ticket and pr for it?
Louis7777 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:24 am Why not do it for 3.2? CSS transform works even for IE9 with an -ms- prefix.
Yes please, can you remove that directory??

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

prs always go against the master branch it's essentially versionless. As for the change in 3.2. We are essentially feature frozen. At this point we should refrain from making any possible breaks to BC to ensure speed release and focus more on big fixing
Donations welcome via Paypal Image