phpBB 3.2.0-a1 released

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
david63

Re: phpBB 3.2.0-a1 released

Post by david63 »

Nicofuma wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:54 am you are saying it is outrageous that the FIRST ALPHA is breaking something
No I am not - I said
david63 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:23 am My own experience is that many 3.1 extensions (not only mine but others that I have looked at) are not compatible with 3.2.
and this is due to core changes not bugs or any other issue - if you want I could give you examples
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

And?
[...] first alpha [...] Not everything is expected to work out of the box. [...] test things [...] create tickets [...] report problems [...] create tickets [...] fix it.
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Nicofuma wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:33 amSo please don't cry or debate but report problems (create tickets)... (and why not fox them yourself if you know how to fix it)
I do not appreciate that comment one bit Tristan. You think I'm `crying`? I think I am reporting issues with the alpha release.

Tickets? I have opened more than my fair share of tickets and fixed those that I could and even those that I didn't open and even those that were abandoned by the original author. Even some that were requested by the community to be added to core. I would say that isn't bad for someone who isn't on any team of phpBB but you somehow think I am `crying`.

Was my post a bit over the top? Maybe, but you adding fuel to the fire isn't going to help either.

And let's talk about the tracker shall we. According to this https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3 ... key%20DESC there are, currently, 827 open tickets. Should some of them be closed? Probably but the inaction on them, either fix, won't fix, bugger off or whatever seems to be a bit lacking.

You want me to open a ticket stating that alpha fails on installing on XAMPP? Routing fails in XAMPP? What about WAMP or am I supposed to install that too and then open a ticket? Would you like me to open a ticket concerning the validation process? You want me to open a ticket about 3.1.7 not being released?

Here's a wild idea, how about YOU install XAMPP and figure out why routing is failing. In case you didn't know, I'm not a programmer, I'm an accountant and do this in my spare time. I wouldn't have the first clue as to why the routing in XAMPP is failing or even on how to debug it just as, I assume, you wouldn't have a clue on how to properly fill out and file an 1120 form from the IRS.

PS I suppose I should open a ticket concerning the formatting of the above url link while I'm at it?

PPS Thank you Matt (VSE) for at least giving ideas with the XAMPP problem instead of saying "Open a ticket".
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:17 pm[...]
I don't think he means anything by it. Probably doesn't come off as offensive/off-putting in his native language.

In any case can you maybe post your php.ini file? That's probably a good start to figuring the problem out. Make sure there's no sensitive information on there like your email and password (i.e. for SMTP).

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

Well, I wasn't especially talking to you and about your whole post (as you said you are creating tickets and thank you for that). As you may have noticed you weren't the only one posting here.

About the validation process... that is something you need to discuss with the ext validation team directly and this forum isn't the good place. And at the same time you may notice too that this validation question isn't related to 3.2 only but to every phpBB release.

About the open tickets... Some should be closed yes but it's not that easy. For each bug ticket you need to check if it is still a bug or not before closing it and that"s very time consuming, and every one here (programmer or not) is doing that on his spare time without any rewards of any kind. About the feature/improvement request it's even more complicated because as you may have noticed the team rarely decide that something is unacceptable, it is always let open to discussion.

But again that wasn't the point of my intervention here. I was only talking about the posts saying: "3.2 broke my extension, that's unacceptable", "3.2 must be BC" etc.... These comments aren't constructive at all, on the contrary they remove from you any desire of spending your spare time on a such product.
"My extension is broken on 3.2 because I have to change how the notifications are managed. I think we should try to find a way to remain BC and I have created a ticket for it: <+ link to the ticket> ." is a constructive comment.

About the BC issues they will be documented. But later, 3.2 is still in alpha stage, nothing is fixed and everything can change. Anyway we need to know what isn't BC in order to fix it or document it.... That's exactly the purpose of the alpha: spot issues in order to fix them.

P.S Off course you should create a ticket if you think it is a bug that should be fixed (or if it is something to improve or if it is a missing feature). Otherwise it will never be done.
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

DavidIQ wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:15 pm In any case can you maybe post your php.ini file? That's probably a good start to figuring the problem out. Make sure there's no sensitive information on there like your email and password (i.e. for SMTP).
Attached
php.zip
(23.35 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
I have opened tickets concerning issues I have brought up on here as it relates to development.

https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14324
https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14323

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Nicofuma wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:25 pmAbout the open tickets... Some should be closed yes but it's not that easy. For each bug ticket you need to check if it is still a bug or not before closing it and that"s very time consuming, and every one here (programmer or not) is doing that on his spare time without any rewards of any kind. About the feature/improvement request it's even more complicated because as you may have noticed the team rarely decide that something is unacceptable, it is always let open to discussion.
Tristan, some aren't even valid and it's quite evident. For example, this one https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14301. Someone put a "duplicates" and didn't bother to close the ticket (unlike say this one https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14298). Now if I happen to be browsing the tracker for open issues to try and assist where I can, why should that ticket still be marked as open? Whoever placed the duplicate in there should have closed the ticket. The others where the dev's are still deciding, I can understand, but ones such as this one it should be a non-issue. Unless I am completely misinterpreting what it is you are stating.

Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

I guess the update from 3.1.x does not work yet?

I downloaded the update file and there is no index.php in the /install/ directory

So the update procedure is not yet working?

Is there any way I can manually update a 3.1.x board so that I can test it? What about create a new 3.2 board from scratch and import users and posts?

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

You should be able to run the updater by using /install/app.php.

Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

Yes that did it.

The update went smooth - all finished and updated sucessfully.

But when I access the forum I just see thousands of random letters such as

JH£H$OQI£H$HKGBHuiy23g4uy32g42u3yog87gyg45yg23
23jh4o32iuhg384923h4go32g4o9-8-dju9-8swj9-8h9h329h3y4