Support for push notifications

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Ger

Support for push notifications

Post by Ger »

Note: since there isn't a ticket yet, I guess I should post this here?

With the nice responsive design in 3.1, there almost isn't any need for apps anymore. One can simply create a bookmark on their homescreen and it works like a charm. Only one feature is missing: push notifications about PM's, quotes, etc. Wouldn't it be nice if you got a message on your phone indicating there's a PM waiting for you?
Of course you can solve this with e-mails, but that feels somewhat half hearted.

I must admit, even after googling a bit I can't really find good documentation about what it takes to implement such a feature. However, I think it would be possible since sites like Trello give me a desktop notification when I get a task. It's supported in both Chrome and Firefox for at least a year now, I think other major browsers will support it as well.

Any thoughts?
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.