Renaming an existing feature in phpBB 3.1.4

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Ancient Viking

Re: Renaming an existing feature in phpBB 3.1.4

Post by Ancient Viking »

VSE wrote:To use terminology like hide/unhide is to totally misrepresent what is being done with this functionality.
That might be correct terminology for phpBB, but I don't think that applies for both IPS and XenForo which I know uses the Hide Post terminology.

What I'm trying to say here is that the way the soft delete post is designed and use of termonilogy could be confusing for people who is migrating from IPS/XenForo to phpBB with almost no knowledge about the differences between IPS/XenForo and phpBB.

Elsensee
Former Team Member

Post by Elsensee »

We are not renaming a feature only because other software has named a similiar feature different. ;)

But the term "softdelete" is totally valid. I mean.. you're clicking on the "delete" button when softdeleting, aren't you? ;D

Hide/unhide would be a "good" name for something which is hidden from an individual user. (e.g. Posts from foes are hidden in phpBB)
Softdeleting hides them from *all* users (except the team, of course: Admins and mods)

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Xenforo calls it soft delete:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources ... eted.2387/
When a user deletes a post or thread, that's called a soft delete. Soft deletes allow the administrator to review deleted content to determine if it needs to be restored or physically deleted.
IP Board also calls it soft delete:
http://community.invisionpower.com/blog ... oderation/
Currently, the ability to hide a post (which we refer to as "soft delete" or "remove from view") is accessed by clicking "Delete".
Same goes for vbulletin, MyBB, etc.
Has an irascible disposition.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

The XenForo page is not an official add-on. Here's what it looks like when you delete a post. The moderation form gives two options:
  • Remove from public view
  • Permanently delete

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

But it's not called "Hide from public view" either and if it's a function moderators can do it's also misnamed as "Delete Post by admin".

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

By the way, I've just noticed that phpBB's form doesn't mention "soft" or "hard" either so I'm not sure what this thread's about.

http://i.imgur.com/rebzDTz.png

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Probably the permission since that's where I think is the only place the term "Soft Delete" is used, which makes the premise of this topic even less necessary.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

DavidIQ wrote:Probably the permission since that's where I think is the only place the term "Soft Delete" is used, which makes the premise of this topic even less necessary.
It's also used, correctly, in the MCP deleted topics and posts sections, i.e.: "This is a list of all soft deleted topics. You can restore or permanently delete the topics from this screen."
Has an irascible disposition.

Ancient Viking

Post by Ancient Viking »

VSE wrote:Xenforo calls it soft delete:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources ... eted.2387/
When a user deletes a post or thread, that's called a soft delete. Soft deletes allow the administrator to review deleted content to determine if it needs to be restored or physically deleted.
IP Board also calls it soft delete:
http://community.invisionpower.com/blog ... oderation/
Currently, the ability to hide a post (which we refer to as "soft delete" or "remove from view") is accessed by clicking "Delete".
Same goes for vbulletin, MyBB, etc.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification VSE.

Since I now know what's called in other forum software I don't understand why both IPS and XenForo calls it "Hide Post" and not "Soft Delete" in the mod tools menu. Perhaps they try to avoid confusing among their users by calling it "Hide Post", but I can only guess.

Movie

Post by Movie »

+1 for the renaming maybe then I will be able to find it and test the feature.

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ls_delete/ read that still cant find it or figure out how to use it perhaps someone can create a tutorial or step by step instructions on finding the feature?

Thanks.