Move the PM Notifications to the Private Messages link

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.

Should we include this improvement?

Yes please. It looks better.
65%
Nah. I like it as it is now.
35%

Total votes: 17

Dragosvr92

Move the PM Notifications to the Private Messages link

Post by Dragosvr92 »

When we receive a new Private message, we are being notified about this twice. In the Notification system, and the old PM[#] Notification.
In my opinion it makes no sense to see the same content/notification coming in twice.

I suggest we move the New PM-Notifications inside the "Private messages [0]" link, in a dropdown menu, which only shows unread PMs.

Exactly like this example i made from my old area51 notifs.
Improved PM Notif System.PNG
As you can see, the PM page/link has been moved and named "View private messages"
Maybe we should change that to "View all private messages" ?

If it receives positive feedback, i will make a ticket. :)
Previous user: TheKiller

Dragosvr92

Re: Move the PM Notifications to the Private Messages link

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Or we could just remove the old PM Notification number and just leave the plain "Private messages" link.
Would be more simple and remove the duplicated notifications. ?

Cin

Post by Cin »

+1

vladimir1983

Post by vladimir1983 »

+1

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Turn the notification off in the notifications options in your UCP

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

That would just turn off the new notification system and only use the old pm notification. I like it as it shows who you got pms from.
These two features just collide with one another and people dont care much to fix it and make the UI more friendlier...
When the user has no notifications and all of a sudden he gets two for the same thing.

I think it may be best to remove the [#] counter from the Private messages link, and put the counter on the PM link, but as a title. So, if the user wants to see how many unread messages they ve got, they can hover over it to see it.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Dragosvr92 wrote:That would just turn off the new notification system and only use the old pm notification.
Isn't that what you are asking?
Dragosvr92 wrote:I like it as it shows who you got pms from.
My latest received PM on area51 dates back to 2013 -_-'... Wherever you got that information, it is wrong.
Dragosvr92 wrote: These two features just collide with one another and people dont care much to fix it and make the UI more friendlier...
When the user has no notifications and all of a sudden he gets two for the same thing.
I'm no designer. I can't help you there.
Dragosvr92 wrote: I think it may be best to remove the [#] counter from the Private messages link, and put the counter on the PM link, but as a title. So, if the user wants to see how many unread messages they ve got, they can hover over it to see it.
Why is not having a notification in the notifications list when you have a PM an option?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Dragosvr92 wrote:I think it may be best to remove the [#] counter from the Private messages link, and put the counter on the PM link, but as a title. So, if the user wants to see how many unread messages they ve got, they can hover over it to see it.
Out of all the ideas you've given for "fixing" the problem you've presented this is probably not your best. That's taking a step backwards really. Why would one hover over the PM link just to see if they have PMs? Also how exactly does one do that on a mobile device? You can't. If anything your original idea of moving them to under the PM link MIGHT be something to consider but I also find that unneeded. Having all notifications in one place and then having a separate link that states one has PMs is actually nothing new. Facebook does it as well as Twitter, so basically everyone is pretty much used to having these things in one place and seem to find it useful to have that sort of grouping.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

DavidIQ wrote:Facebook does it as well as Twitter, so basically everyone is pretty much used to having these things in one place and seem to find it useful to have that sort of grouping.
He wants the dropdown for private messages, exactly how Facebook does it.