Missing icon image.....?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Dragosvr92

Missing icon image.....?

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Hey, so i am struggling to switch to 3.1 and atm i am looking to find icon replacements for the new icons that were added into 3.1.
When i noticed this....

Code: Select all

.icon-search-advanced		{ background-image: url("./images/icon_search_adv.gif"); }
There is no icon_search_adv.gif file anywhere. The only place it exists, is as a path in the colours css file.
I suggest finding an icon for this path or removing the _adv from the path name to use the simple mag icon until you can find the right icon..

Also, i never understood why arent the prosilver icons made to fit any background.
The white border on icons makes them look terrible on black or coloured backgrounds. Same for the smilies.

Edit: I think i am going to use this: Image
Previous user: TheKiller

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Missing icon image.....?

Post by DavidIQ »

It's also the only instance of it so it's not used anywhere at all. Probably just left over from the navigation redo and will be cleaned up later. Feel free to send a pr to get rid of it. ;)

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

its not required, all the new icons were merged into sprite images.vThis was left over from development and can be marked for removal in the next patch.

https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/3.1 ... button.png
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

DavidIQ wrote:Feel free to send a pr to get rid of it. ;)
Done https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/3425
hanakin wrote:its not required, all the new icons were merged into sprite images.vThis was left over from development and can be marked for removal in the next patch.
Well... Not all new icons. The acp, mcp, notif, etc icons are still individual. But i think it was left there in error probably because they couldnt decide on a better advanced search icon.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

icons are managed in sets and the large like styled icons were merged into sprites so all button icons are one sprite, all contact related icons are another set.

Since the rest of the icons are not like styled and created by several different individuals over several years its not possible to create a single sprite without recreating all the icons.

I actually put a lot of work into accomplishing this but it was to late in the development timeline to make such a big change and their are still some minor icons that require backend changes in order to get it all to work properly.

this has since died as with 3.2 we will be utilizing font-awsome for all of our icons.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Good to know. :) The change has been merged btw.
https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-13639

spaceace

Post by spaceace »

hanakin wrote:this has since died as with 3.2 we will be utilizing font-awsome for all of our icons.
will these icons be called from within the phpbb forum software? or will it depend on the external site to provide them?

reason i ask is when phpbb.com went down, logging into the ACP was lagging as it had to connect to phpbb.com for version information. if for some reason font awesome icon location goes down for any reason, will there be some kind of icon set to fall back on?

otherwise, if the connection to the font awesome server fails, there will be no icons to see :roll:

M.Gaetan89

Post by M.Gaetan89 »

I think font awesome will be included in your phpBB installation.

spaceace

Post by spaceace »

M.Gaetan89 wrote:I think font awesome will be included in your phpBB installation.
so the icons will not rely on an external site? can someone confirm this?

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

spaceace wrote:so the icons will not rely on an external site? can someone confirm this?
Yes and no. There will be an option to rely on a cdn, like we do with jQuery now, but this won't be enabled by default.

That's if we go with something like LESS where one can specify variables and we can then use those to specify where the images are coming from. Otherwise it's just going to be local. So far things are pointing at a LESS-type parser so the former is likely going to be the end result.