Language issue with missing variable in ACP

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.2.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.2.x please visit the 3.2.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
leschek

Language issue with missing variable in ACP

Post by leschek » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:27 pm

If in the default board language pack is variable which shouldn't be there (for example undeleted line from some previous version of phpBB) it is shown in other languages (including English) as missing variable. It seems that phpBB compares all language packs with default language and not with English. I'm not sure if it's feature or bug, but some users could think that there is problem with English (or other installed) language even if it's problem with additional variables in other (board default) language.

DavidIQ Online
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Language issue with missing variable in ACP

Post by DavidIQ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:31 am

I'm not sure I understand the issue. If a language key is missing from the current translation the current behavior should be that it looks in the English language directory and uses the definition from there, which is absolutely what we want. Sounds like you're seeing something else so maybe a screenshot would help.

leschek

Re: Language issue with missing variable in ACP

Post by leschek » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:43 am

I'll try to explain it better. If I have on my board English and another language packs (in my case Czech language) and if I add to any file in Czech language pack variable ( I added 'ANYTHING_HERE' => 'Anything',) which isn't present in English language file I can see message, that there is missing language variable in English language file. Here is screenshot (it's Czech, but you will see that there is missing variable in British English file):

(please click on link. I uploaded it into phpBB Gallery on my board)