Show Quick links menu on hover, not on click

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Dragosvr92

Show Quick links menu on hover, not on click

Post by Dragosvr92 »

I dont know about others, but i dont like clicking the Quick Links to get the drop down menu.
It just adds difficulty in accessing the menu links..... I suggest the menu is getting displayed when the user moves the cursor over the menu.

phpbb.com already does this on its header buttons. (About, Downloads, etc. )
I think i noticed the menu on hover for a day some weeks ago.. but it didnt last. :?
Previous user: TheKiller

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Show Quick links menu on hover, not on click

Post by DavidIQ »

I think it's a reasonable request. Someone mentioned something called "hover intent" in another topic so it shouldn't be that complicated to do. Should be done to other "bubble" menus as well like notifications and the user menu.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Ive created a ticket on the tracker. https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-13369

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

DavidIQ wrote:I think it's a reasonable request. Someone mentioned something called "hover intent" in another topic so it shouldn't be that complicated to do. Should be done to other "bubble" menus as well like notifications and the user menu.
Aaaand yeah let's go back to the Web of the 90's. :shock:

The "hover intent" discussion was about stuff appearing when we mouse hover over elements without intending to. Like menus dropping down when we hover over links.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Louis7777 wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:I think it's a reasonable request. Someone mentioned something called "hover intent" in another topic so it shouldn't be that complicated to do. Should be done to other "bubble" menus as well like notifications and the user menu.
Aaaand yeah let's go back to the Web of the 90's. :shock:

The "hover intent" discussion was about stuff appearing when we mouse hover over elements without intending to. Like menus dropping down when we hover over links.
I'm pretty sure it was referring to the jQuery plugin:
https://github.com/briancherne/jquery-hoverIntent

Doesn't look so "90's" to me. :shock: I'll assume you're not referring to the concept because if you are then you'd be completely incorrect...

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

DavidIQ wrote: I'm pretty sure it was referring to the jQuery plugin:
https://github.com/briancherne/jquery-hoverIntent

Doesn't look so "90's" to me. :shock: I'll assume you're not referring to the concept because if you are then you'd be completely incorrect...
It was mentioned in this topic: https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=46425

Inititially, the user "Pony99CA" expressed his concern about accidentally hovering over username links with his mouse and then the user "PayBas" brought the aforementioned jQuery plugin into the topic, as a way to demonstrate detection of intentional hovers and prevention of unwanted popups or dropdowns (please correct me if you think I am wrong - that's the way I perceived it). So the discussion was around hover events that can be potentially annoying.

"Menus on hover" are like a thing of the 90's, that's what I meant.

JavaScript used to be much less popular back then and many users had it disabled. And let's not talk about AJAX back then. And the jQuery library - which makes the implementation of on click menus super easy - didn't even exist. "On hover" menus were the easy thing for a long time, and "on click" was the more advanced stuff.

So nowadays there are so many top-ranked websites that don't even fully function without JavaScript enabled (e.g. Facebook). And many of those top-ranked sites such as Facebook, Google, LinkedIn, YouTube, Gmail, Hotmail etc. make use of on click menus. Even our Operating Systems come with on click menus rather than on hover ones.

I'm not saying that on hover menus are lame, but they have to be properly implemented. Phpbb.com's menu is actually cool. Everything is nicely styled, the menu options are big and clear and there's also a small delay before the dropdown appears.

If you want to see how the "Quick tools", "Notifications" and "User menu" would feel "on hover" then go ahead and disable JavaScript in your browser. Well, at least I don't like it. All those websites that I previously mentioned have spoiled me big time. :P
Dragosvr92 wrote:I dont know about others, but i dont like clicking the Quick Links to get the drop down menu.
It just adds difficulty in accessing the menu links..... I suggest the menu is getting displayed when the user moves the cursor over the menu.

phpbb.com already does this on its header buttons. (About, Downloads, etc. )
I think i noticed the menu on hover for a day some weeks ago.. but it didnt last. :?
I just don't see why the current menus are not good enough. Aren't we all used to clicking on "File", "Edit", "View", "Tools", "About" menus, double clicking on folders, and clicking on the Start Button (I'm just using Windows here as an example OS)?

Don't we click to open menus in so many other Internet applications that are not Web applications? How about online videogames?

I personally don't think that clicking is such a hassle, but then again, that's just me.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

I think the perceived hassle comes from having the links on the page in 3.0 and now under a menu. This wouldn't make a difference on a mobile device anyways. Would only benefit desktop users (I usually browse on my iPad). I don't really see too much against the idea tbh.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Programs usually provide you all the options to use them from the main window, without having to access the top File/Edit menu every time.
But we arent talking about programs here.

The "Your posts", "New posts" links are the most used/important user links and we should access them asap. Without having to do one extra step to just display the darn menu. It gets annoying and it slows the browsing/navigation quality. Also, 3.0 users got used to just click them directly. Having to hit a click just to display the url can get really annoying........

I dont know much about the 90s browsing, but i know that some things never get old. Like clicking or writing on the keyboard.
I'm not saying that on hover menus are lame, but they have to be properly implemented. Phpbb.com's menu is actually cool. Everything is nicely styled, the menu options are big and clear and there's also a small delay before the dropdown appears.
You sure sounded like you were..... Nobody suggested to implement them improperly...
If we already have the phpbb.com's menu, we can use its functionality.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Dragosvr92 wrote:Nobody suggested to implement them improperly...
If we already have the phpbb.com's menu, we can use its functionality.
You can already see how the on hover menu for the quick links is like. It sucks. Just disable JavaScript and see it yourself.

What do you suggest that we can import from phpbb.com's menu while trying to implement it 'properly'?

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Disabling javascript doesnt make it work as intended, does it ? The hover is a side effect and it only uses the simple css hover effect.
I cant say i dislike it terribly. But we should set it up properly with javascript to add the same delay effect that phpbb.com has on its menu and it is perfect...