FAQ page musdie!

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
phpdummie

FAQ page musdie!

Post by phpdummie »

The FAQ page seems to be a useless anachronism at this point. It must go.

1. it is not easy to edit, certainly not by someone without direct access to the installation. Thus it often stays in its original form, regardless whether it actually addresses the questions of the particular site.
2. it is entirely static. It would be better implemented as a part of Pages extension. The Pages should come with the FAQ sample page, entirely editable in the back end and placeable in a location of the site's choice.

Mess

Re: FAQ page musdie!

Post by Mess »

phpdummie wrote:2. it is entirely static. It would be better implemented as a part of Pages extension. The Pages should come with the FAQ sample page, entirely editable in the back end and placeable in a location of the site's choice.
+1

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Mess wrote:
phpdummie wrote:2. it is entirely static. It would be better implemented as a part of Pages extension. The Pages should come with the FAQ sample page, entirely editable in the back end and placeable in a location of the site's choice.
+1
+1 as well.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

The OP is throwing the baby out with the bathwater, though. The page doesn't have to "die"; it just needs to be made more dynamic and easier to edit.

Of course, why should somebody without access to the installation be able to edit the FAQ? It's not something that I'd want most users to do anyway. If you make the page editable in the ACP, you'll need to handle all of the languages that the FAQs may be in, too. It's possible, of course, but is the effort worth it?

There are plenty of other items that more boards should probably edit (like the ToS and Privacy Policy) that currently require somebody with installation access to do, so what makes the FAQ special?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Pony99CA wrote:so what makes the FAQ special?
Appearing as a link on every page and having lots of text to edit contrary to the ToS and Privacy Policy.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Louis7777 wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:so what makes the FAQ special?
Appearing as a link on every page and having lots of text to edit contrary to the ToS and Privacy Policy.
As discussed in the topic that I linked to, the Privacy Policy and ToS links should appear on every page. Lots of sites have those links in their footers.

Regardless, if this is about making things easier to edit, it shouldn't matter how many pages the items are displayed on. The same technique used to make the FAQ easier to edit could probably also be used to make the Privacy Policy and ToS easier to edit.

Of course, if you accept the OP's premise that the FAQ be eliminated, then I disagree with that completely.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Pony99CA wrote: As discussed in the topic that I linked to, the Privacy Policy and ToS links should appear on every page. Lots of sites have those links in their footers.
I have no objections to that but the default footer should be redesigned in order to hold more links. Do we want that to happen?

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Louis7777 wrote:
Pony99CA wrote: As discussed in the topic that I linked to, the Privacy Policy and ToS links should appear on every page. Lots of sites have those links in their footers.
I have no objections to that but the default footer should be redesigned in order to hold more links. Do we want that to happen?
That's really off-topic for here, so I've posted my thoughts in the Tos, Faq, Search and Policy pages shouldnt be cached in searchengines topic that I linked to previously.

I only raised the issue because if those links are on every page, the FAQs aren't very different at all.

Steve

sopi

Post by sopi »

+1 for an easy way to edit the FAQ.

Of course the build in FAQ are of great value to Users new to online forums in general (although those people are getting rare). However, it would be awesome to add forum-topic-relevant FAQ setting the general tone for user communication and - well - FAQs :D

Just registered to leave this +1 ;)

Cheers

Pete77s

Post by Pete77s »

Sounds more of an extension request to me -1