How long will it take for 3.2/Rhea to be out..?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
ecwpa

Re: How long will it take for 3.2/Rhea to be out..?

Post by ecwpa »

DavidIQ wrote:About one year plus a few more months for a new version is a long time? :|
Sorry, I meant to say "waiting until the new theme".

I've been waiting since 3.0.12 for various reasons, not necessarily anyone's fault, I really appreciate the work you guys have done.

I'm still excited to start working on a new theme but I just can't deal with the current way themes on phpBB work.

To contribute to the conversation, how important is working o a new theme? Are any core functions required to be finished before the new theme/theme engine? Is a complete redesign under consideration?

I ask because I wouldn't mind start working on my theme for the new theme engine during the development period.
Last edited by ecwpa on Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Ah yes I hear you on that. The new theme is a complex beast which is taking some painful planning to etch out and start. Hopefully some more specific details can be published soon, which will hopefully attract more professionals into the mix.

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

Glad to hear.

I definitely enjoyed reading hanakin's roadmap and styleguide. It looks like it hasn't been updated in a while though.
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

DavidIQ wrote:We've heard that same argument before and nowadays it makes little to no sense. Extensions now exist and for good reason so there's no point in forcing things into the core anymore.
I am aware of that, I've seen discussions before, and I know the arguments and the official responses. Also, I mostly agree with the points you made, but I just think there could be a better solution somewhere in the middle as each way seems to have its own drawbacks.

Until extensions can modify/replace code you can't present them as a total replacement for core features, because you can't do everything with them.
DavidIQ wrote: Also MyBB is doing development the right way [...] You might think "it's so easy to just add jQuery into a release" but they're thinking about the bigger picture,
It is one good way, but there's no such thing as the right development way which is why so many different development processes exist. Sometimes one has to be adaptive, like in MyBB's case.

The argument was about a single feature every now and then (perhaps every two months?). That said, not only would it be easy for them to add jQuery to their core, but it would also be very easy to publish a quick patch and recover from any conflicts. Should they think more about their image (in case that they get blamed) or should they worry more about not having it for another year? The bigger picture is that maybe they would screw up and with the consequences lasting for a few days, but for the rest of the year their product would be a better one.