css errors

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
marian0810
Former Team Member

css errors

Post by marian0810 »

Possibly a bit of an ocd question but are there plans to fix any current css errors before the stable release?

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/vali ... Findex.php

FYI I just updated 3 testforums to RC4 and they all show the exact same errors.
Don' t Cry Because It's Over
Smile Because It Happened

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: css errors

Post by callumacrae »

There's nothing wrong with the CSS. There's a reason nobody uses the validators anymore :)
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

None of those errors are errors.

Error #1: validator sucks. pointer-events does exist. All modern browsers support it, even IE.
Error #2: validator sucks. There is absolutely nothing wrong with syntax.
The rest of errors: IE sucks. That's CSS for gradients in IE below 10.

Warnings: bunch of nonsense. It can't recognize vendor prefixes.

BioLogIn

Post by BioLogIn »

validator sucks
With all due respect, validator just does what it was designed to do - checks pages for HTML standards conformance. So what you want to say is that W3C's HTML standards are outdated (and therefore suck). Which is also a very debatable topic.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

BioLogIn wrote:With all due respect, validator just does what it was designed to do - checks pages for HTML standards conformance. So what you want to say is that W3C's HTML standards are outdated (and therefore suck). Which is also a very debatable topic.
Not even that though. It's just that the W3C spec for CSS3 is underdeveloped. It does not support vendor prefixes, for example, because strictly speaking they are not in the spec yet, but they are implemented by the browser vendors. There's a ton of legal CSS implemented by browsers already, that has not yet been added to the W3C's spec as a standard yet, so it's not that the W3C is outdated...it's pre-dated...it's very behind the times.
Has an irascible disposition.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

BioLogIn wrote:
validator sucks
With all due respect, validator just does what it was designed to do - checks pages for HTML standards conformance. So what you want to say is that W3C's HTML standards are outdated (and therefore suck). Which is also a very debatable topic.
I think you're confusing HTML and CSS, because I never mentioned the HTML validator :)

The HTML validation is even worse, though. It just shouldn't have a validator. Web Components have a specification, yet cause the HTML validator to fail.
My blog

BioLogIn

Post by BioLogIn »

Yeah, CCS standards, not HTML. My apologies for the typo. Doesn't change my meaning, though. I, personally, would rather rely on (outdated) standards, than to use some vendor-specific specs that could become obsolete in a few years. But I guess that's just me.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

BioLogIn wrote:Yeah, CCS standards, not HTML. My apologies for the typo. Doesn't change my meaning, though. I, personally, would rather rely on (outdated) standards, than to use some vendor-specific specs that could become obsolete in a few years. But I guess that's just me.
thats what build tools and processes are for. I never write anything except official syntax!
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

https://github.com/postcss/autoprefixer
https://leaverou.github.io/prefixfree/

autoprefixer is better, but prefixfree is prettier
My blog