Contact Us page needs group permissions

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Dragosvr92

Re: Contact Us page needs group permissions

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Is something done about this? For a while now i started to get a lot of spam daily. Today i got 29 spam emails from my forum. Yesterday i got at least nine. How can it have been released with no antispam protection. Contacting guests need to fill the captcha. Users already filed theirs on registration.
Previous user: TheKiller

JimA
Former Team Member

Post by JimA »

Dragosvr92 wrote: Sat May 28, 2016 7:02 am Is something done about this? For a while now i started to get a lot of spam daily. Today i got 29 spam emails from my forum. Yesterday i got at least nine. How can it have been released with no antispam protection. Contacting guests need to fill the captcha. Users already filed theirs on registration.
As explained in this topic before, it was intentional not to add a CAPTCHA because of users being unable to solve the CAPTCHA or running into other registration trouble would need to be able to use the form as well. There is currently an extension in development that disables the default Contact Us page and adds a new one with a CAPTCHA, so you might want to have a look at that if you don't like the default behaviour.

[RC] Contact Admin
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Moderator Team Member
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

No support here on Area51, please visit the Support forums over at phpBB.com

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

It is the choice and responsibility of the board admin to enable the CAPTCHA and to choose a fairly easy CAPTCHA for the users to solve, but which stops bots from using it. Why not remove the CAPTCHA on registration also... What if users cant register as they are too dumb to figure it out.

Thanks for the link.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Dragosvr92 wrote: Sat May 28, 2016 11:44 am It is the choice and responsibility of the board admin to enable the CAPTCHA and to choose a fairly easy CAPTCHA for the users to solve, but which stops bots from using it. Why not remove the CAPTCHA on registration also... What if users cant register as they are too dumb to figure it out.

Thanks for the link.
I think you misunderstood what Jim said. It is not just about users unable to figure out the CAPTCHA but more about the CAPTCHA or registration being broken. You speak of dumb users but either of these scenarios can be made possible by dumb admins.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

DavidIQ wrote: Sat May 28, 2016 11:51 am You speak of dumb users but either of these scenarios can be made possible by dumb admins.
And that will be the dumb admins problem for their stupidity and bad management.... Why should other admins suffer from this, because it may do a little good for the users of little boards, managed by stupid admins, who cant configure it. If the admins are that stupid that they cant configure the captcha, they wont be able to assist the users properly anyway, so therse no loss.

The important question is, How can other admins stop receiving tens of useless spam/junk, which also makes it hard to sort through to see which emails are valid. This is more important than some idiots could configure their captcha that users will find it very difficult to fill.

The CAPTCHA can come as disable by default. I switched from 3.0 to 3.1.3 when it was the latest version. I only recently (less than two months) started to receive spam. What do i do in this case. How do i manage my board to avoid receiving trash in my inbox?

Lucky with Girr converting his contact page mod to an extension. I used it before upgrading to 3.1 too.