Releasing 3.1.0-RC3

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Paul Online
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Re: Releasing 3.1.0-RC3

Post by Paul »

Dragosvr92 wrote:I am more curious to know when will extensions be made for 3.1.0.
Did you actually look at the extensions forums at phpBB.com?
Will something else replace MODX ?
The composer.json kinda replaces MODX. Modifications to the core won't be allowed anymore
Will there be a new customisation database page?
Ofcourse
Without having at least a few extensions out there for 3.1 i dont think people will hurry to update..
Again, there are a bunch of extensions already.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Dragosvr92 wrote:I am more curious to know when will extensions be made for 3.1.0. Will something else replace MODX ?
Will there be a new customisation database page? Without having at least a few extensions out there for 3.1 i dont think people will hurry to update..
To be honest I've been looking at the mods but leaving them alone until phpBB 3.1 goes final release. I do have the announcements mod installed, tried another ages ago - but only use one now. A lot of the mods are falling behind each new Beta/RC phpBB 3.1 version released it seems, they ain't keeping pace. So don't think it poses much of a problem right now, bet most people are doing same thing leaving them alone for now, but taking note of what mods there will be to use later. Unless mods are not getting created/updated after 3.1 goes final. At which point many will start looking at using them on their boards.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

mrgtb wrote:
nickvergessen wrote:There will be an RC4, most likely next week.
I was wondering how long RC4 is away, this release from RC3 seems to have taken longer than going through rest of Beta's and previous RC's. Not complaining or anything, just waiting to upgrade is all and currently use an early DEV version of RC4 (so a bit keen to see RC4 released proper to upgrade to) and stop using this DEV version of it. :|

I upgraded to an early DEV version of RC4 to get the pop-up box style fixes, otherwise I'd have stopped at RC3 until RC4 got released. I kind of expected RC4 to come faster than RC2 to RC3, thinking there would be less bugs to fix now. But this feels the longer wait between new versions so far.
The smelting process takes time...
Has an irascible disposition.

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

I have a feeling RC4 should be out anytime now. probably in couple of days itself. I wouldnt mind even if you take an extra week or 2 and just release the final release straight. After that there is still a lot of work anyways when many boards start using them. Its never going to be perfect. Why cant we release the final and make it perfect after that over minor releases...

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Alien_Time wrote:I have a feeling RC4 should be out anytime now. probably in couple of days itself.
Did you see this on page 3 ;)
nickvergessen wrote:There will be an RC4, most likely next week.

ForumsFaciles

Post by ForumsFaciles »

Sorry did not notice page four...

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

mrgtb wrote:
Dragosvr92 wrote:I am more curious to know when will extensions be made for 3.1.0. Will something else replace MODX ?
Will there be a new customisation database page? Without having at least a few extensions out there for 3.1 i dont think people will hurry to update..
To be honest I've been looking at the mods but leaving them alone until phpBB 3.1 goes final release. I do have the announcements mod installed, tried another ages ago - but only use one now. A lot of the mods are falling behind each new Beta/RC phpBB 3.1 version released it seems, they ain't keeping pace. So don't think it poses much of a problem right now, bet most people are doing same thing leaving them alone for now, but taking note of what mods there will be to use later. Unless mods are not getting created/updated after 3.1 goes final. At which point many will start looking at using them on their boards.
It was right for the beta and for a few changes before the RC3. But since the RC3 nothing has been broken for the extensions, and so an extension compatible with the RC3 is compatible with the RC4 and will be compatible with the final (except in the case where we have to break BC for an important security fix).

EDIT: I forgot one change done in the notification system. But it was required to avoid conflicts and to be able to follow the extension guidelines.
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

Everyday when I wake up, the first thing I do is open my ipad, go to phpbb site and see if 3.1 is out. :( So havent been having a good start lately..

bobby124

Post by bobby124 »

same here

NORDLANDVOLK

Post by NORDLANDVOLK »

yep me too.
sorry for my bad english :oops: