Change background-color to f1f1f1?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.

Should we change the current background color to something darker?

No, keep the current color.
35%
Yes, change it to something darker.
58%
Change it to f1f1f1.
8%

Total votes: 26

Louis7777

Change background-color to f1f1f1?

Post by Louis7777 »

I think that the current background color of the body is too light to be next to the white of the wrap.

Can we change it to something a bit darker? How about background-color: #f1f1f1;

If you want to see how it looks like, it is the color that YouTube is using.
Last edited by Louis7777 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dragosvr92

Re: Change background-color to f1f1f1

Post by Dragosvr92 »

1+ i much prefer the darker colour.
Previous user: TheKiller

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

thats only a 2% shift in lightness over the current color which provides barely any change to the contrast against the white separated by the darker border.

#EEF1F6 would be the equivalent to #f1f1f1 lightness change and thats too close to post bg colors

as for youtube its not used as the primary bg color but the wrap color it would be the equivalent of us saying that the bg on the body should be white and the rounded wrap should be f1f1f1
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

hanakin wrote:thats only a 2% shift in lightness over the current color which provides barely any change to the contrast against the white separated by the darker border.
It makes my eyes feel a lot better so it might be a 2% shift in lightness, but it is a 100% shift in comfort.
hanakin wrote: as for youtube its not used as the primary bg color but the wrap color it would be the equivalent of us saying that the bg on the body should be white and the rounded wrap should be f1f1f1
Nope, it is the primary. Check again.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

its assigned to the body but the body is treated as a wrap on youtube as the header/footer/sidebar which are white all surround it.

Not sure how its hurting your eyes or why your staring at the void space it may be a calibration issue but either way start a poll for weather it hurts peoples eyes. and see what the responses are I can always try shifting the hue/saturation around to make it slightly darker

maybe try this #F0F2F5
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

+1. I think the background colour is too light, it's something I always end up changing/darkening.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

I've made the border colour around the white forum background same colour as HR lines displayed on forum home, so they match up on same grey colour used. Looks a lot better now, more defined against the light background and was too light a grey colour used before (like used here). I still use same colour background (default), that shows through a background image used with white squares, other square is transparent to let background colour show through it as alternating squares.
a1.png
a1.png (16.65 KiB) Viewed 10766 times

Sumanai

Post by Sumanai »

@mrgtb, -1 to image.
Sorry for my English.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Sumanai wrote:@mrgtb, -1 to image.
It's not the background image I'd like to use. Read this to see why I've had to use the one I do, which I'm hoping they'll fix and does need fixing so I can use a far better styled background image, but nobody in tracker is assigned to it so far.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

hanakin wrote:either way start a poll for weather it hurts peoples eyes. and see what the responses are I can always try shifting the hue/saturation around to make it slightly darker
I've added a poll.

Maybe it's the border's fault. I'm catching myself trying to distinguish the white of the wrap from the body's color.