Quick Links

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.1. If you need support for phpBB 3.1 please visit the 3.1.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
User avatar
RMcGirr83
Registered User
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:51 am
Contact:

Re: Quick Links

Post by RMcGirr83 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:49 pm

Kamahl19 wrote:I would remove all icons or use the same icons for all links because these different icons just dont make any sense to anyone.
QFT!
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

mrgtb
Registered User
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Quick Links

Post by mrgtb » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:27 pm

Just do away with having them red and blue. Make them all blue to avoid confusion that people think red means new posts to be read. Because forum post icons in proSilver work on that principle.

User avatar
KurtisC
Registered User
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:14 pm

Re: Quick Links

Post by KurtisC » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:53 pm

As far as the 'your posts' are concerned, I always find myself clicking on my username and expecting it there on this webiste, I keep forgetting it's under 'quick links.' Maybe it would be better off there??

User avatar
hanakin
Infrastructure Team
Infrastructure Team
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Quick Links

Post by hanakin » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:19 pm

KurtisC wrote:As far as the 'your posts' are concerned, I always find myself clicking on my username and expecting it there on this webiste, I keep forgetting it's under 'quick links.' Maybe it would be better off there??
not really a justification, its been what a week?

User avatar
KurtisC
Registered User
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:14 pm

Re: Quick Links

Post by KurtisC » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:28 pm

hanakin wrote:
KurtisC wrote:As far as the 'your posts' are concerned, I always find myself clicking on my username and expecting it there on this webiste, I keep forgetting it's under 'quick links.' Maybe it would be better off there??
not really a justification, its been what a week?
For cosmetic changes, what justifications do you want and in what timeframe? Besides, it's a mere suggestion anyway.

This thread was opened yesterday.

User avatar
Mess
Registered User
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: Quick Links

Post by Mess » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:58 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Kamahl19 wrote:I would remove all icons or use the same icons for all links because these different icons just dont make any sense to anyone.
QFT!
Agreed. Maybe a better option would be to use the same icon for all links as suggested. :)

User avatar
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 am
Location: Hollister, CA
Contact:

Re: Quick Links

Post by Pony99CA » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:54 am

Kamahl19 wrote:I dont understand why there are different icons. Why Your links has arrow, which other links dont have. Is "Your posts" somehow connected to arrow? If not it does not make sense to use arrow icon, it does not help users.

New and Unread posts have the same icon but they do 2 different functions. Thats strange.

I would remove all icons or use the same icons for all links because these different icons just dont make any sense to anyone.
I disagree. While the icons aren't dynamic, the red does indicate that it will find "red" topics/posts if there are any. So the color shows what will be found, not whether there are any to find. Therefore they do make some sense to me. ;)

I don't know about the arrow for "Your posts", though.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

User avatar
PayBas
Registered User
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Quick Links

Post by PayBas » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:35 am

Pony99CA wrote:So the color shows what will be found, not whether there are any to find. Therefore they do make some sense to me. ;)
That was the idea, yes.

As for the arrow icon: it was just a placeholder for a final icon. I didn't feel like designing new icons for the quick-links at the time (so I recycled existing icons). But nobody seemed to mind and there were no objections, and after a while I didn't even notice anymore.

User avatar
RMcGirr83
Registered User
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:51 am
Contact:

Re: Quick Links

Post by RMcGirr83 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:08 am

Pony99CA wrote:While the icons aren't dynamic, the red does indicate that it will find "red" topics/posts if there are any. So the color shows what will be found, not whether there are any to find.
A blue icon will do the same thing. I just find it odd looking. FWIW, the icons seem to be pretty worthless. There weren't any in 3.0.x.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

User avatar
PayBas
Registered User
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Quick Links

Post by PayBas » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:11 am

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:While the icons aren't dynamic, the red does indicate that it will find "red" topics/posts if there are any. So the color shows what will be found, not whether there are any to find.
A blue icon will do the same thing. I just find it odd looking. FWIW, the icons seem to be pretty worthless. There weren't any in 3.0.x.
The icons are there to make the responsive content somewhat more uniform. See viewtopic.php?f=84&t=45679&start=160#p265651

Post Reply