Quick Links

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Kamahl19

Re: Quick Links

Post by Kamahl19 »

PayBas wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:So the color shows what will be found, not whether there are any to find. Therefore they do make some sense to me. ;)
That was the idea, yes
Your posts can also find unread posts, same for Unanswered and Active posts. All of those links may or may not display unread posts so I am asking again, what is the difference.

I am not saying you did it wrong, I am saying lets just keep it simple instead of bloating everything with images. I thought, 3.1 and later 3.2 is trying to remove all images from style and use CSS and icons (FA in 3.2) instead.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Kamahl19 wrote:I am not saying you did it wrong, I am saying lets just keep it simple instead of bloating everything with images. I thought, 3.1 and later 3.2 is trying to remove all images from style and use CSS and icons (FA in 3.2) instead.
That's why I decided to recycle existing images that will have been loaded into the browser cache already. I didn't want to introduce new icons for this. Once we move to something like FA we can use more descriptive icons perhaps.

I do feel however that icons are necessary for this, as it just looks more consistent (see the link i posted above). But if people feel that having different colors is too confusing, we could change them all to the same icon.

Regardless of whether or not the colors are accurate to their status or intended results, they help differentiate the links, and provide quicker recognition. For me, they just help to to choose the right link quicker. They could have been smileys or yellow/green/purple for all I care. Having a visual distinction just speeds up the process. Not perfect, but adequate.

But that's just me.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

To me and IMHO the type or color of the icon matters little...it is the actual link. I don't look at the icons, I look at the links.

Semantics really, I just didn't understand the difference is all.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Kamahl19 wrote:
PayBas wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:So the color shows what will be found, not whether there are any to find. Therefore they do make some sense to me. ;)
That was the idea, yes
Your posts can also find unread posts, same for Unanswered and Active posts. All of those links may or may not display unread posts so I am asking again, what is the difference.
The difference is that "red" icons only find content that you haven't seen (if there is any), just like red icons other places are only used to show you things that have new content. "Your posts" finds old content, too, hence it gets a blue icon.

it seems pretty clear and reasonable to me.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

May as well post here...

Is there any easy/admin way to modify the text of the 'quick links'? As in I'd like them to say:
Your adverts
New adverts
etc
etc

Or simply a need of hacking the core? Easily done?

I'd like to get rid of 'Unanswered posts' too.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Volksdevil wrote:May as well post here...

Is there any easy/admin way to modify the text of the 'quick links'? As in I'd like them to say:
Your adverts
New adverts
etc
etc

I think it will be much easier just to modify the navbar_header.html template.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

No problem, I'm happy with that, cheers PayBas.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

PayBas wrote:
Volksdevil wrote:May as well post here...

Your adverts
New adverts
etc
etc

I think it will be much easier just to modify the navbar_header.html template.
Don't those strings come from the language files? If so, wouldn't it be easier to modify those?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

I think he is meaning replicating it for an extension not just altering the name
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

Cheers guys, good old code tweaking either way which I'm OK with. But out of interest, where will those Language var's be?