LIKE posts feature added in phpBB 3.1

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
mrgtb

LIKE posts feature added in phpBB 3.1

Post by mrgtb »

Not sure where to post this, so I'll post it here.

"XenForo, vBulletin, IPB, Burning Board" - all 4 paid forum software packages has the LIKE POST feature as stock and is pretty popular since as a feature being their. Has any thoughts been given to adding it as a stock feature in phpBB 3.1? Yes, I know there's a mod posted for it on phpBB.com, but think it's one thing that phpBB 3.1 could benefit from having their as a stock feature to use.

Want to know what others think about it as well?

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Re: LIKE posts feature added in phpBB 3.1

Post by Nicofuma »

Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

No, not a reputation system. Well... it's kind of the same thing in a way. But this is the mod I meant which is more inline with how it works for vB, IPB, BB and XenForo. In a way it's a more basic type of reputation system, but brought into post displayed how many LIKED it, so it's more obvious to see ratings on posts given. Whereas the old reputation type systems had it hidden away on the likes of vBulletin and MyBB "not displayed in posts like this now", so it never got seen as being a useful feature like now and people use it a lot becuase it's a simply case of clicking a LIKE in a post, or DISLIKE/LIKE that shows an image, counter or text.

It came from Facebook first and XenForo was the first to do it, then the rest all followed suit adding it, because it proved very popular feature with XenForo users.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2246576

On XenForo it works like this.
Snap1.jpg
(103.29 KiB) Downloaded 1444 times
On Burning Board.
2.JPG
(73.93 KiB) Downloaded 1444 times
IPB 4
3.JPG
(60.04 KiB) Downloaded 1439 times
vBulletin
4.JPG
(35.19 KiB) Downloaded 1439 times

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Not going to happen in 3.1 as this would be a major feature and we are already in the RC phase. Perhaps in 3.2. You can expect an extension for 3.1 though as I believe there is someone in the Extension community working on one.

rfdy

Post by rfdy »

Just a heads up, but we've actually developed such extension. We're migrating from VB, so this is a feature we really needed.
It can be enabled on a forum by forum basis; implements a custom specific user permission, and allows basic un/thanking functionality with stats. It will be released fairly soon.

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

@rfdy: looking forward to your extension. Even though there's already another extension in development for this... more is better. :)

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

DavidIQ wrote:Not going to happen in 3.1 as this would be a major feature and we are already in the RC phase. Perhaps in 3.2. You can expect an extension for 3.1 though as I believe there is someone in the Extension community working on one.
I wouldn't really call that a "major" feature. If this is only counting how many people like a post and nothing else, it shouldn't be a huge deal. Add a new "Likes" field in the posts table, a Like button and count display in the post template and code to increment the Likes field by one when somebody clicks the button (possibly refreshing the page to display the updated count).

If you want to display who liked the post and only allow people to vote once, you'd need another table mapping post IDs to user IDs (possibly with a timestamp if you wanted to show the users who liked the post in chronological or reverse chronological order), plus another text field in the posts table to keep the list of likes, a corresponding template change to display that string, and code to disable the Like button if the user had liked that post already.

Now if you wanted to embellish it with things like permissions to allow only some people to use it, forum options to indicate whether the forum allowed it or not, some way to remove your vote, etc., that would get more complicated. However, the basic feature could probably be added in a day or two; the rest could be added as extensions to the base 3.1 system and added to the core in 3.2.

Steve

P.S. Does Burning Board have a bug? One of the images showed +7, but said that three users plus five others (eight total) liked the post.
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Like without dislike is useless...
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

That's how it is in xenforo, you can only gives LIKES. Not saying I agree either it being like that, but the idea behind why they have it that way is so members won't mess around as much giving dislikes on purpose to annoy people. Can see some sense in that, but would still prefer a LIKE/DISLIKE system