Repeating topic title in each post..

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.

Should the subject line be removed from post-replies?

Yes please. No need to enlarge the db with repeating text.
57%
No thanks, I prefer it the way it is now.
43%

Total votes: 47

keith10456

Re: Repeating topic title in each post..

Post by keith10456 »

Dragosvr92 wrote:Okay, i guess this wont be removed so How about we display the same topic title everywhere, where there is no titlechange, instead of entering the same title again and again?
Haven't heard a definitive response from the devs yet so lets not count out it being removed just yet.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

keith10456 wrote:
Dragosvr92 wrote:Okay, i guess this wont be removed so How about we display the same topic title everywhere, where there is no titlechange, instead of entering the same title again and again?
Haven't heard a definitive response from the devs yet so lets not count out it being removed just yet.
Ok, i trust they will make good judgement. :)
Previous user: TheKiller

Darkness_demoN

Post by Darkness_demoN »

This whole topic is a big mistake.

Domos

Remove the suject messages

Post by Domos »

I wonder what is the point to keep the subject of each message except the first post in the topic ? Especially since 99% of the time, the user does not modify it.

And now with the new version of Prosilver there is something that I find not very aesthetic :
phpbb.png
(21.79 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
I think it would be better to take the title of the topic rather than the message

mrgtb

Re: Remove the suject messages

Post by mrgtb »

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Glad to see that theres someone else that shares the same opinion.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

And how else would you know it's a response and not a new topic from just looking at that list, outside of looking at the forum or topic itself? ;)

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Well, back in 3.0 there was no list of last forum posts in prosilver or subsilver by default. Some people decided they like to see the last post title so they made up a one line code change. So that is not the reason why the same topic title gets repeated OVER AND OVER Again into each new post-reply. Also, people can check for new topics from the "New posts" page, as they've always done.

I disagree with having the same line of text repeating everywhere and enlarging the database for absolutely no reason.
If some people that dont like change insist having it there, then leave it there....

But, configure phpbb to use the same topic title in posts where the title was not changed.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

You are talking about the topic itself, as is evidenced in the linked topic (now merged) and your last few comments. One of the things Domos was talking was about showing "Re:" in the forum list, which he has highlighted. While in the topic it might not make sense to some to repeat the title in the topic it surely makes a whole lot of sense to show "Re:" in the forum list to differentiate between topics that have replies and those that are new.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

It does make sense to use RE: to differentiate between first post and posts made after it mas replies, I agree on that. Only problem with that RE: added though after first post, it can cause (if a post title is very long), that the title in posts with RE: added in replies, it can make part of the thread title at end "get cut-off".

For instance, first post might read a very long title that doesn't get cut-off. But once RE: is added to replies added. That can end up with 3-4 words missing from end of post title in all replies.
Last edited by mrgtb on Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.