Repeating topic title in each post..

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.

Should the subject line be removed from post-replies?

Yes please. No need to enlarge the db with repeating text.
57%
No thanks, I prefer it the way it is now.
43%

Total votes: 47

Louis7777

Re: Repeating topic title in each post..

Post by Louis7777 »

Let's just hide the subject field from the quick reply already? :P

In the future we can further discuss if there's anything else to be done.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

I think it had been removed at one time and then re-added from the QR form.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

See the image below... Do we really need the topic displayed so many times?! Really?!

And the screenshot doesn't even show all of them!
2014_06_19_00.44.24.png
(200.67 KiB) Downloaded 437 times

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

keith10456 wrote:See the image below... Do we really need the topic displayed so many times?! Really?!
Yes. Really. :D
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Master_Cylinder wrote:
keith10456 wrote:See the image below... Do we really need the topic displayed so many times?! Really?!
you have yet to make any kind of argument for keeping it other than its your preference. You only get one vote so multiple posts claiming it should be their are quite redundant unless you have a new point to make.

As to your response about the ACP. This is not going to ever happen as the devs have already stated several times before that adding more options to the ACP for trivial matters is not going to happen as they feel their are to many already.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

hanakin wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:
you have yet to make any kind of argument for keeping it other than its your preference. You only get one vote so multiple posts claiming it should be their are quite redundant unless you have a new point to make.
That's good enough too. You don't stop at one post, who are you to tell me I have to? How about YOU stick to the subject instead of trying to make it about me just because I don't agree with what YOU want?
EDIT:
Don't even bother attacking me again, I was hoping I wouldn't have to "foe" anyone here but now it's done.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Conversations always focus on the post reply message, over the same topic subject. People will always read the messages if you change the post subject or not.
The lil bit of threading is useless and not many bother do do it. people said in this topic that they've been using phpbb in decades and never changed the subject. Im only using forums since 2008 and i've never bothered to change titles.

Nobody said its being confusing to have two titles. So dont attempt to mock and put words in our mouths ;)
We clearly stated that it makes no sense having it there and it would be easier to read threads without re reading the same topic title over and over.

MyBB has its post title still as someone said previously. But they placed it somewhere where its font size is smaller and it doesnt get in your face so much.
They make it easier to read but i still think the post-subject usage is obsolete.
Previous user: TheKiller

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

I'm not sure if you're trying to make a point by removing the subject from your replies but it now makes your replies look weird and out of place...

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

I would prefer something like this:
lollies.png
(135.82 KiB) Downloaded 370 times

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

In reference to admins/moderators using the topic title to trace where they moved a topic from (when merging), couldn't that information be added to one of the logs (if it's not there already)?