An option to disable responsiveness for large screens?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Louis7777

An option to disable responsiveness for large screens?

Post by Louis7777 »

How about having an ACP option to disable/enable responsiveness for users with bigger screens? We could use a fixed number for the screen width or allow the administrator to set a minimum width such as 768px.

Of course it is welcome to have a responsive theme that transforms accordingly for mobile users who are using smartphones or tablets and users with small screens in general. But personally I feel that I don't want websites to transform when I'm using a big screen. I want only one version for the screen that I am using. I may want to isolate certain areas and view them simultaneously in different minimized windows, I may like to minimize the window without seeing the website changing (apart from the containers expanding/collapsing and the text wrapping), I may be sadist and love the horizontal scrollbar.

It usually comes down to how well a particular website is using the responsiveness. I've seen many websites which remove whole sidebars and append them below the site's content and that do many other ferocities :P

PhpBB does it right, but still I may want to define how my website will look based on a min-width and/or a max-width without changing how it looks (again, containers expanding/collapsing and text wrapping are fine).

So place here your ideas in favor of it or against it and let's discuss how it could be implemented if you think we should have it.

brunoais

Re: An option to disable responsiveness for large screens?

Post by brunoais »

My opinion:
Make a new style based on prosilver (or child of).

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

The ideas of making things like this an option in the ACP are bad ideas. Not all styles will be "responsive" and many will have a fixed width. If there is something within a style that needs changing for a particular situation then the administrator will have to deal with that. Adding such options will just produce a lot of support requests and bug reports about the option in the ACP not working.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

We wouldn't want to do this as a core feature, it's an end user preference and depends on a particular machine that user is using. This should be fairly easy to change for your own preferences on one particular system with a greasemonkey script or something of that sort.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

EXreaction wrote:We wouldn't want to do this as a core feature, it's an end user preference and depends on a particular machine that user is using. This should be fairly easy to change for your own preferences on one particular system with a greasemonkey script or something of that sort.
GreaseMonkey is a bit much (how many people know how to use that?), but it's definitely a user preference, and should be in the UCP (if anywhere).

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

We've only had one person request this, so while yes, it is not a 5 minute task that just anyone can do, I don't see any reason we should support this use case.