What Happened To The Report And Quote Buttons?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Darkness_demoN

Re: What Happened To The Report And Quote Buttons?

Post by Darkness_demoN »

Pony99CA wrote:
Darkness_demoN wrote:I also like the new look :) Keep them :)
I'm not talking about changing the "look" of the buttons; they're OK. I'm talking about changing the poor usability of hiding important features unless somebody just happens to do something.
Sorry for my bad presentation of my appinion. I mean that i like also and the idea to show hide that buttons. Btw the first thing that i saw yestaday was that ( buttons are shown only on post that your mouse is ) and i was "Hmmmmm... Nice idea". I think this is good because jQuery that they add in this version. What is the point of adding bunch of functions without use them. Another thing is that when somthing flashing or in case show and hide is more catcy for the eye. Im in wide screen with 1920x1080 res. and even with that resolution my peripheral vision see the change because that flashing effect.

Pony99CA wrote: That's not very discoverable.

And it doesn't matter if "other boards" do it. That still doesn't make it usable.
I'm never saying that in this post. Yes i wana phpbb to have some things that other forums have but i didn't cnow that other forums have that hide, show feature of quote and report buttons.

Pony99CA wrote:If you disagree, please tell me what benefit the user derives from having the buttons disappear. If there isn't some benefit, it's useless.

Steve
I think the benefit is only cosmetic. I like good cosmetic changes. :)

NeilUK

Post by NeilUK »

Cosmetic changes are fine , changing the look of the icons is cosmetic, making them disappear isn't cosmetic as it changes the behaviour of the board. Any change that may confuse a proportion of users isn't a good idea. I see no benefit from hiding them, all I see is potential confusion of board users.

If it's to stay like this how about making it an optional change? Having an option in the admin panel to turn it off and on?
"Life Is What Happens To You When You Are Busy Making Other Plans" - John Lennon

John P

Post by John P »

Tabbing around it will hit the report and quote button even if they aren't visible and do the action if entered. What is happening people will ask. It's really confusing.

Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Marc »

I'm also not sure why the icons are being hidden. It doesn't make it look much cleaner and will just cause confusion among users.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

It is a facebook trend I think, but on fcb it only happens in little areas and only a small, discrete, dark 'x' appears.

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

I agree. The new buttons are fine, but having them disappear is annoying and will confuse some.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Perhaps they should always show but be "faded" until you hover over the post?

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I agree with Pony99CA here. It does not look good. I prefer how it displays for me (it does not hide).
Even if it fades later... I don't think it really makes sense. I think it should just be there always. What's the problem of that, btw?

NeilUK

Post by NeilUK »

To be honest the hidden icons seems like a change for the sake of change, it adds nothing to a Forum design in my view. Seems like an idea that "it can be done, so let's do it"
"Life Is What Happens To You When You Are Busy Making Other Plans" - John Lennon

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

NeilUK wrote:To be honest the hidden icons seems like a change for the sake of change, it adds nothing to a Forum design in my view. Seems like an idea that "it can be done, so let's do it"
It's meant to reduce screen clutter obviously. It's not change for the sake of change, it's to reduce the number of visual distractions when reading topics.

Whereas things like avatars and the mini-profile are directly available visual information, the buttons are only "needed" in case we want to interact with the content. So hiding them until we want to interact makes sense.

But since most don't like it. It should be reverted.
Last edited by PayBas on Thu May 29, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.