[Define New Theme] 8. Utilize Font Awesome icons where icons are needed to simplify server requests.

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: [Define New Theme] 8. Utilize Font Awesome icons where icons are needed to simplify server requests.

Post by MattF »

While I appreciate all the hard work Hanakin put into the Font Awesome switch, upon living with the new look, I'm not really a fan. The flat monotone icons don't really seem to work well with the Prosilver theme, at least as far as the menu/navbars go.

I never knew font icons had any controversy behind them. If SVG is the way to go forward, maybe make SVGs of Prosilver original icon set, and take design cues from some of the icons improved by font awesome (such as Topic/Post buttons).

I think it would be prudent to decide on a course of action before 3.2. To put out 3.2 with font awesome and then drop it sometime thereafter would be sloppy. I'd like to see this settled before 3.2. Hopefully with something that most ppl feel looks good, is compatible and functional.
Has an irascible disposition.

Pony99CA

Re: [Define New Theme] 8. Utilize Font Awesome icons where icons are needed to simplify server requests.

Post by Pony99CA »

I agree with VSE. Sometimes simplifying server requests (and icon design) isn't the best thing for users.

It was a good proof-of-concept, but not all suggestions have to be accepted.

Another question -- Should phpBB at least include support for Font Awesome (perhaps by including extension hooks) for other style designers even if phpBB decides not to use it itself?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

VSE I agree that not all are optimal choices and a balance could/should be achieved in a later release. I am working on a comparison PR using svg versions od font-awsome to outline the problem areas of using font vs svg which is alot easier now that we are using font-awsome, but its still rather a lengthy process.

this way we can look at and potentially address the issues and concerns. Then once we have a sold choice and the groundwork the overall design can easily be swapped out from there.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

The pr for svg version of the icons is up and ready for scrutiny

https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/4014

KnownSyntax

Post by KnownSyntax »

I like the current changes to move towards using FontAwesome, but I do slightly agree that the current theme isn't staying up with the current trends. Maybe the next thing would be to move towards a more minimalistic theme/style option and have prosilver the fallback (such as how before phpBB shipped with two themes, one being the fallback for the newer prosilver)?

leschek

Post by leschek »

Not sure if this is correct place to ask, but do you plan (in phpBB 3.2) to use Font Awesome icon for quote too? I mean in actual quote (not the quote button) instead of images/quote.gif.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

not in 3.2 all changes apart from bugs are finalized.

leschek

Post by leschek »

Thank you.

Omen

Post by Omen »

I have been a member of phpbb.com since 2002 and I had to register here to convey the excitement I am feeling about the styling changes I have been seeing. The notification bubble and font-awesome integration is amazing. I am on mobile right now and the icons look great. I went to phpbb.com and the image icons and buttons just didn't look right. I have always felt phpbb was behind the curve as far as styling goes but times appear to be-a-changin, for the better. Keep up the good work.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Omen wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:53 am I have been a member of phpbb.com since 2002 and I had to register here to convey the excitement I am feeling about the styling changes I have been seeing. The notification bubble and font-awesome integration is amazing. I am on mobile right now and the icons look great. I went to phpbb.com and the image icons and buttons just didn't look right. I have always felt phpbb was behind the curve as far as styling goes but times appear to be-a-changin, for the better. Keep up the good work.
Thks glad u like the changes, there are a lot more things in the works

check out this forum for more info and provide feedback on anything you would like to see

https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=131