[Define New Theme] 8. Utilize Font Awesome icons where icons are needed to simplify server requests.

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
nachtelb

Re: [Define New Theme] 8. Utilize Font Awesome icons where icons are needed to simplify server requests.

Post by nachtelb »

@Hanakin
I'm not in the position to tell a extension author what to do nor will i tell you what to do. I only was annoyed by this missing icons while surfing and till your efforts to implement FA into phpbb-style i was totally unaware of the coherences. Your "anyone knowledgeable..." is a little bit to black and white. There are more greyscales out there.

Now JoshyPHP helped me out - thank you.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: [Define New Theme] 8. Utilize Font Awesome icons where icons are needed to simplify server requests.

Post by MattF »

The burden is not on site designers to build around those who try to block the features of the internet. If people want to install plugins that will break site functionality and design, that was their choice, and they alone should deal with the consequences of their choice.
Has an irascible disposition.

nachtelb

Post by nachtelb »

I really got it. Dont waste your time with my question any more - you have actually to do more important things. :D

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Senky wrote:
ecwpa wrote:Fonts are a bit heavier but way more flexible, forum admins won't need image editors to change icon colors, or sizes...
However, to change even a small line or arc, they need to use much more sophisticated tools, than image editors. For most admins, photoshop is much easier than any vector graphics editor.
And the font's icons/shapes can only have one color, isn't that right?

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

yes only one color. But the implementation will be completely modular allowing you to use what ever icon package in whatever format you wish even something like SVG to allow for complete customization of color, shape, size, and layers of individual icons.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

hanakin wrote:yes only one color. But the implementation will be completely modular allowing you to use what ever icon package in whatever format you wish even something like SVG to allow for complete customization of color, shape, size, and layers of individual icons.
No one would edit his local copy of the FA font as it would be more prudent to keep it the same as the CDN's.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Louis7777 not sure what you mean but to clarify I am not saying editing FA I am saying that the theme would need altered to allow for using the CDN version of FA as the HTML and css for the wrappers/containers etc. This structure that you lay FA on will work for other forms of icons by simply replacing the FA CDN link with one for your icons or a css file for your icons.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

^I mean that no one would modify FA and replace phpBB's local FA font files in order to change the shapes. I'm saying that because you mentioned SVG and customization of shapes. Since FA will be loaded from CDN it would be prudent to have the same font files locally, in order to keep the user experience the same even if FA fails to load from CDN.

Colors and sizes can be changed in the css file, but still there are two limitations. No shape changes. And one color for every icon => which means very simple and flat-looking icons.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

I got you, let me make this perfectly clear though. FA is being chosen for the default theme that ships for its simplicity. Since this is a default them we should opt for simplicity whenever possible to make modifying that much easier on theme developers and end users.

With that said, as I stated it will be easier to customize and change it to something else on a user by user basis. You can even use something like https://useiconic.com/ in your theme if you wish. Which allows full control over ever aspect of the icon from shape to size to color to layers.

Everything will be up to the individual developers of the theme without the need to edit any php or massive amounts of css.

phpdummie

Post by phpdummie »

I find the benefits of this quite doubtful.
1. this font may not be accessible at any given moment due to a number of reasons, i.e. service interruptions, firewalls for intranets etc.
2. the overhead is very substantial. The file size is quite large compered to the number of icons to be used.
3. the content is out of our hands. If any icons change, we'll be forced to update, but deployed sites may not update promptly and be left displaying wrong content.

I think the icon needs are better served with a new set of graphic icons, possibly and hopefully in SVG.