[Define New Theme] 8. Utilize Font Awesome icons where icons are needed to simplify server requests.

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
archon

Re: [Define New Theme] 8. Utilize Font Awesome icons where icons are needed to simplify server requests.

Post by archon »

Please use FA, it will be much easier to make dark themes and add more icons.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: [Define New Theme] 8. Utilize Font Awesome icons where icons are needed to simplify server requests.

Post by hanakin »

already planned my friend ;)
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

nachtelb

Post by nachtelb »

For Style-Authoring its much more easier using FA, right. But for the user surfing the site it often looks "not good". Have a look to my screenshot.
icann.org.jpg
(79.34 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
icann.org2.jpg
(48.05 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
Is this only me, having those bad effects? Or are you ignoring this because of the positive points? I dont like this view on a growing list of sites.
_
EDIT: Now i know - this is only a problem of the noscript-Addon. Forget about it.
Last edited by nachtelb on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roufneck

Post by roufneck »

nachtelb wrote:For Style-Authoring its much more easier using FA, right. But for the user surfing the site it often looks "not good". Have a look to my screenshot.

Is this only me, having those bad effects? Or are you ignoring this because of the positive points? I dont like this view on a growing list of sites.
Just wondering... Are you using addblock plus?

https://github.com/FortAwesome/Font-Awesome/issues/1799

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

Those are placeholders. They are used when a codepoint cannot be represented in the desired font. My guess is that the browser could not load Font Awesome.

nachtelb

Post by nachtelb »

EDIT: Now i know - this is only a problem of the noscript-Addon. Forget about it.
Last edited by nachtelb on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

Can't reproduce on Firefox 33 with JavaScript disabled. Might be a bad interaction with your NoScript extension. Edit: confirmed to be a NoScript "feature". How to disable that feature.

AFAIK, Font Awesome requires no JavaScript whatsoever.

nachtelb

Post by nachtelb »

Your first link gives an idea, why it is blocked for security reasons. But much better, it shows, that i can allow only fonts with the submenue "blocked objects". Now i know how to use my Addon, thank you.
Thinking about it, theres is nothing to do for the phpbb-style.
1. All noscript-users should know about this and how to fix it. But i think it is not possible to generate a info-message for users with disabled fontface, isn't it?
2. Fontface should be improved to be trust-worthy.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

anyone knowledgeable enough to use an extension to block adds is also knowledgeable enough to know why this is occurring. Further more this is a false positive from your extension classifying the @font-face method as a security vulnerability most likely as the only way I have seen this is with IE7 due to the same reason. Either find a better tool without this problem, report it to the developer of your extension as a fault, or swap it our for something else, as it will be completely modular once implemented.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

hanakin wrote:anyone knowledgeable enough to use an extension to block adds is also knowledgeable enough to know why this is occurring. Further more this is a false positive from your extension classifying the @font-face method as a security vulnerability most likely as the only way I have seen this is with IE7 due to the same reason. Either find a better tool without this problem, report it to the developer of your extension as a fault, or swap it our for something else, as it will be completely modular once implemented.
Agreed. It's hard enough to develop for the wide array of browsers let alone the even wider array of add-ons that screw with the browser :P
-Jonah